• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

THIS JUST IN!!! WILSON IS THE STARTER

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
THIS JUST IN!!! WILSON IS THE STARTER
John Clayton is reporting Wilson will start week 1.

In a Sunday evening conference call with local media, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll announced that third-round rookie Russell Wilson will start the team's Week 4 preseason finale against the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, and the Week 1 regular-season opener against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, Sept. 9.
"It's been a very exciting competition going on, and Russell has taken full advantage of his opportunity," Carroll said. "He's done everything you could ask for on the field, and more than you guys could know off the field, in meeting rooms and with the players. He's earned this job. It was a legitimate competition, as we've said from the beginning, and he deserves to start. So, we're excited to do that."
The seeming complication was that the Seahawks signed former Green Bay Packers backup Matt Flynn to a three-year, $26 million contract in the offseason, with the presumed idea that Wilson could learn and develop behind Flynn as the starter. However, Wilson never bought the narrative.
Considered by many to be too short to play the quarterback position in the NFL at 5-foot-10 5/8, Wilson looked like a savvy veteran through his rookie minicamp, through practices, and through three preseason games in which he tabulated the league's highest passer rating at 119.4. Wilson looked especially good against Kansas City's first-team defense in a 44-14 thumping Friday night, and his total numbers -- 35 of 52 for 464 yards, five touchdowns and one interception -- were simply manifestations of the confidence he brought onto the field. It was the same confidence Wilson instilled in others.
"He's never shown that he's anything but a quarterback, in every sense of the word," Carroll said. "The command he has, just handling the huddle and the situations -- it's the kind of work ethic you hope your quarterback has. The sincerity and respect for the position. He is so prepared; he does not seem lik a first-year player. He seems like he's been around."
Carroll also said that he feels badly for Flynn, "because I know how badly he wanted this," but the coach said all along that he would not let salary dictate reps. That has proven to be true. Flynn, who has been experiencing elbow issues over the last few days, may or may not get time in the Raiders game.
Carroll also confirmed that the Seahawks are close to a deal that will send quarterback Tarvaris Jackson to the Buffalo Bills, which would leave Flynn and second-year man Josh Portis as the only quarterbacks on the roster besides Wilson.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Did anyone else catch that exchange between Flynn and Wilson before kickoff. Some bad blood brewing. Guess Flynn thought it was going to be a walk in the park. Bridges are Burning.

I can't agree with ya C$. I think giving the team to Wilson right now is a huge risk. I really think PC is going way out on a limb. Wilson has been impressive in the Preseason but I'm not going to be convinced until I see him in the regular season. Wilson might be a bright star burning fast, I'm not sure he is going to be able to sustain his play and now we only have Portis.

Based on what we have seen I think its would be easier to say Turbin is better than Lynch than to say Wilson is better than Flynn.

Honestly I don't know who is the better QB but I do think PC really fucked this all up and it could come back to haunt us. I do know that Flynn was the first real answer for our long running QB problem and PC just pissed on it. If Wilson doesn't work out we are going to be in serious trouble.

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
well you make a good point, Im hoping Wilson can keep it going into the season, Im sure Flynn is very upset.. But PC has told everyone on the team " no spot is 100%" its always competition.... I think Wilson has earned the spot for now. But if he doesnt perform, then Flynn will get the spot back

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
How was Flynn the first real answer at QB and Wilson is not? Because he played in a grand total of 2 regular season games? To me, if Flynn was the first real answer, he would have slammed the door on a rookie rather than having a sore elbow half way through the preseason...

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
I agree 100%... To me they were both rookies fighting for a starter job.. Wilson won.. we should all be excited about that !

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
The last 3rd-rounder to start as a rookie ... Joe Ferguson in 1973, held the job for 12 seasons....

Idahawk

Reaction score
If Flynn was the real answer, why didn't he win the fucking job ? PC didn't fuck anything up, he finally got it right!

I'm sure Flynn isn't happy, but who cares . If he chooses to get shitty about it then send him down the road, otherwise he can do his job and back-up Wilson.

Lets face it Flynn was the best option at the time , we pulled the trigger and then had a chance at a kid like Wilson fall in our laps and took it, it may appear as suspect to some but to me its what we had to do just keep throwing Qbs at the wall until one sticks, its why we went after Manning.

I give the FO props for finding the right guy and not basing that on what you paid them but on talent and play.

Wilson is a spark plug and great things are going to happen in Seattle , at last I can take down the MH poster cause we found a QB !

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
If Flynn was the real answer, why didn't he win the fucking job ? PC didn't fuck anything up, he finally got it right!

I'm sure Flynn isn't happy, but who cares . If he chooses to get shitty about it then send him down the road, otherwise he can do his job and back-up Wilson.

Lets face it Flynn was the best option at the time , we pulled the trigger and then had a chance at a kid like Wilson fall in our laps and took it, it may appear as suspect to some but to me its what we had to do just keep throwing Qbs at the wall until one sticks, its why we went after Manning.

I give the FO props for finding the right guy and not basing that on what you paid them but on talent and play.

Wilson is a spark plug and great things are going to happen in Seattle , at last I can take down the MH poster cause we found a QB !
fuck yeah.. I agree, fuck the money, its about BEST FOR THE TEAM.. and Wilson looks to be that guy...

Reaction score
Everyone is freaking out about the money... Flynn is guaranteed 10 million over the next 3 years. That's not much more than we paid Whitehurst.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score

Do you really feel like you've seen enough of Flynn to say Wilson is better? Can you say you are not concerned about the sacks and hits Wilson took in the KC game? Take a look at the poll from last week, 90% supported Flynn. After 1 week Wilson is our savior. Talk about a shotgun wedding. I'm not ready to say Wilson is the end all answer.

Now Flynn doesn't look like he is going to be content to sit behind a rookie for very long. He's either going to make the locker room hell or find a way out of Seattle.

Ask yourself this, who do you think would garner more intrest from the rest of the league, Flynn or Wilson?

Idahawk

Reaction score
Wilson is garnering all the interest in the league lol

Highest rated rookie QB at this point not bad considering the class.

Wilson has the far better arm , wheels and commands the huddle when he does miss he is putting the ball where only his guy has a chance at it. The best part is that he's our guy and will grow with all the youth on this team for years to come. You can now call the rebuild complete!

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Wilson fell the third round, because of his height. I bet he silenced several teams' concerns on that. Flynn, on the other hand, did not even get a contract offer from his previous OC. So who would garner more interest? Tough question.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I told you guys before the draft we should look at this Russell Wilson dude, but all the talk was Tannehill, Kellen Moore, even trading up to get RGIII!!! I thought this kid is the real deal man, can't wait for season, ive seen enough, I want to just FF to the Az game now!

Sorry for the gloating.... cant help myself. :):tup:

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
I told you guys before the draft we should look at this Russell Wilson dude, but all the talk was Tannehill, Kellen Moore, even trading up to get RGIII!!! I thought this kid is the real deal man, can't wait for season, ive seen enough, I want to just FF to the Az game now!

Sorry for the gloating.... cant help myself. :):tup:
I've been saying the same thing.. This is the one QB I wanted before draft day.. He is the real deal, and to have a young QB means we have built the team of the future.. Lets go HAwks

Reaction score
Good listen http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/08/podcast-guest-appearance-on-softy.html?m=1

The first half is a replay of an interview Softy did with Wisconsin coach Billiema (sp) back in May. I hate to say it but a lot of what he said about Wilson is coming to be true. You know I'm a Flynn homer but this interview made me a little bit of a believer. Hell, hes a Seahawk so I just need to embrace it. Hopefully this thing works out. If not we've still go Flynn. Things could be a lot worse (See TJack and Whitehurst).

Top Bottom