• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Butler trade and Hill being dropped, works...

Reaction score
...out best for the Seahawks this year and next years draft?

"The Seattle Seahawks' trade with the Eagles to acquire Penn State wide receiver Deon Butler might reveal how the Seahawks will handle their business during the next year. Earlier in the day, the Seahawks dropped the franchise tag from linebacker Leroy Hill, making him a free agent. Hill is the best player on the market and should command a big contract. He'll also become the eighth free agent to leave this offseason and should command a third-round compensatory choice next year. Once Hill signs, the Seahawks will have a net loss of five free agents, so they could get four compensatory picks next year. That's why they had the luxury to trade for a fast receiver."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/...&id=4102721

Reaction score
A 3rd Round pick and 3 others and we gain $8 mill in cap space to sign Curry and the other draftees?

Makes sense to me, but if we can some how get Hill back that would be good. :cool:

Reaction score
Guys let's not forget I've yet to hear any teams excited about Hill being cut. Guys like Plaxicor Burress are still available. He will be a Seahawk in a few weeks. Won't be a big deal he was going to miss out on mini-camp anyways.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
I say 6 years 36 mill for Hill again, but he only gets 3 Mill this year.
I believe next year will be an uncapped year so if that's the case, can't we just make it so he makes more next year to make up for getting less this year?

Reaction score
phaZe said:
bobflipaburger said:
I say 6 years 36 mill for Hill again, but he only gets 3 Mill this year.
I believe next year will be an uncapped year so if that's the case, can't we just make it so he makes more next year to make up for getting less this year?

We still have to pay him as if there is a cap I think because there might still be a cap.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
phaZe said:
Hill's agent still says a long-term deal with Seattle is possible. :D

Oh that just made my day... Well it made it better lol.
This might make it even better:

Ruskell said the franchise tag was withdrawn because it had become an impediment to reaching a long-term deal. He was asked if Hill was upset at the team's decision to withdraw the franchise tag. Ruskell referred the question to coach Jim Mora, who said he spoke with Hill on Sunday morning. He said that Hill might have been a little shaken up, but still expressed a desire to get a deal done with Seattle.

Reaction score
phaZe said:
bobflipaburger said:
Oh that just made my day... Well it made it better lol.
This might make it even better:

Ruskell said the franchise tag was withdrawn because it had become an impediment to reaching a long-term deal. He was asked if Hill was upset at the team's decision to withdraw the franchise tag. Ruskell referred the question to coach Jim Mora, who said he spoke with Hill on Sunday morning. He said that Hill might have been a little shaken up, but still expressed a desire to get a deal done with Seattle.

Oh man... One step closer to having the best LBs in the league.

Reaction score
bobflipaburger said:
Oh man... One step closer to having the best LBs in the league.
I hope so. Hill, his agent and Ruskell/Mora all want this to get done so let's hope it does.

Reaction score
If we lock hill up, I will be very happy, obviously getting Curry was huge, but keeping Hill is just as big. If we can lock him to a long term deal.

Reaction score
Seattle PI said:
Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell acknowledged the possibility of losing Leroy Hill after taking the franchise tag off the veteran linebacker, but said he hopes Saturday's surprising decision instead helps hasten negotiations on a new contract to remain in Seattle.

Ruskell said the Seahawks are scheduled to talk with Hill and his agent Sunday night and Monday.

(Later on...)

But coach Jim Mora said he talked with Hill Sunday morning and didn't feel any anger coming from the player and remains hopeful he'll re-sign with the Seahawks.

"He's very motivated to be a Seattle Seahawk. He told me this morning this is where he wants to finish his career. I think he was a little shook up and maybe disappointed, but in terms of being upset or mad, no. At least that's not the feeling I got.

"He sounded motivated to get something done We talked about him possibly being here for minicamp this weekend and all those things. Like Tim said, maybe this hastened this situation. And that's our hope because we'd certainly like to have him here."

Hill returning is looking like a good possibility, but if it doesn't happen I wouldn't be surprised either. We lost Peterson and Hutch and signed Alexander to a fat contract right before he took the Seahawks down with him. So, Ruskell screwing this up is a good possibility.

Reaction score
Sporting News said Hill will not be able to get a better offer from any team in the NFL than the 6 yrs. $36 million dollar deal we offered. I give it a few weeks for him to test the "market" only to sign with us.

Idahawk

Reaction score
If they don't keep Hill then what was the point of all this ? We go from losing a stud LB in Peterson to Gaining a prospect LB in Curry and then lose another stud linebacker in Hill...so we go into the season with two young LB's and Lofa to match up with the cb's we didn't draft ??? Ya this is classic Ruskell money talks ,screwing the team up BS move. Pulling the Tag off of Hill during the draft..was putting the for sale sign on him..and trust me a Dallas or another team who didn't fair to well in the draft could pull the rug out from under us and should for us being so stupid yet again :roll:

Reaction score
Idahawk said:
If they don't keep Hill then what was the point of all this ? We go from losing a stud LB in Peterson to Gaining a prospect LB in Curry and then lose another stud linebacker in Hill...so we go into the season with two young LB's and Lofa to match up with the cb's we didn't draft ??? Ya this is classic Ruskell money talks ,screwing the team up BS move. Pulling the Tag off of Hill during the draft..was putting the for sale sign on him..and trust me a Dallas or another team who didn't fair to well in the draft could pull the rug out from under us and should for us being so stupid yet again :roll:

There's no way we could pay him 8.3 mill this year AND sign Curry.

Top Bottom