• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should Seahawks resign Rice?

Should Seahawks resign Rice?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Sidney Rice could be done in Seattle, barring a reduced deal
Posted by Mike Florio on October 29, 2013, 7:49 PM EDT
rice.jpg
AP
The Seattle career of receiver Sidney Rice could be ending not with a bang or a whimper but the snapping of an ACL.
With Rice suffering in late October a multi-month knee injury that necessarily will limit him through the offseason and into 2014, the Seahawks could decide to move on, unless Rice will agree to a major reduction in his big-money deal.
Rice is due to earn a base salary of $8.5 million in 2014, an amount that his past performance and current health won’t justify. With a post-June 1 designation, the Seahawks could shed the contract with a $1.2 million cap charge in 2014 and 2015, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.
Given that cornerback Richard Sherman surely will want a new contract after the coming season and that quarterback Russell Wilson’s mega-deal is looming after 2014, it makes sense to move on from Rice — especially with the investment made during the offseason in receiver Percy Harvin.
Rice had 15 catches for 231 yards and three touchdowns in eight games this season. Last year, he had 50 catches for 748 yards and seven scores in 16 starts.
It seems that Rice will be sticking around only if he agrees to significantly reduce his pay for next year, and beyond. Given that no one else will be paying him $8.5 million for 2013, it could make sense to take the best offer Seattle eventually makes.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I know Rice wanted things to work out , but production and injuries make it impossible to pay that man . For all the promise he had he's just another in a long line of FA busts at the WR position in Seattle.

Some teams can't find a QB we can't find a game breaker at WR . I guess we will see where the often injured Harvin takes us, our history at the position doesn't shine much hope .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Rice's upside isn't worth the cap hit. What he brings to the WR position is zero if he's continually injured. I'd rather have two decent WR who can show up an entire season than a number 1 who can't be counted on. It's not his fault, but he's being paid to be on the field, not the training room.

We need a prototypical tall fast WR who stretches the field. That way in press coverage they're getting a 5 yard cushion opening up the short underneath passes. WR don't grow on trees, but without guys catching the ball Russ is a dead man. Taking all those hits is going to end up being how we lose our QB.

Idahawk

Reaction score
They brought Lockett up today , he's prototypical and has time in our system. Turns out to be a fortuitous pickup. Tate, Baldwin Kearse and Lockett , then Harvin at some point .

Tate's about to break out , I've been down on him for a while but he's been bringing it lately and will be asked to do way more now along with Baldwin . Lockett could beat out Kearse who's had the drops in his few chances lately and I wondered when we made the Lockett signing if Kearse was falling out of favor .

Best plan , run beast modes ass off , enough shenanigans , if I see RW surrounded by tacklers running in circles like a hamster in a ball one more time , I'm going to go f*#&€ing nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Reaction score
I want to see Wilson throw Tates way all game. Dude is one of the best guys in the league grabbing those 50/50 balls. That 80 TD was way under thrown and would've been picked off by Jenkins if it wasn't for Tate's smarts and physical ability to adjust and come back to the ball. That was a fantastic play on his part. I will dare to say it might go down as a top 10 TD catch all year.

He seems like a guy that would flourish if you just feed him the ball. I would say give the rock to Marshawn, feed Tate and occasional keeps for Wilson just to keep the defense honest.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
I've been yelling for Tate all year. I haven't seen Rice perpetually open anyway. Tate just flat out catches it open or not. He's like a freaking shortstop.

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Besides Tate I really like Kearse also. I'd like to see more balls thrown to him too. He seems to be able to adjust to the ball really well.

Reaction score
Re-sign? He has a couple years left on his contract. Even if he didn't get hurt, he would have to restructure if he wanted to stay. Now, He's probably gone unless he's willing to come back for a super cheap deal that has no cap impact if we decide to cut him before the season starts.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I think Rice is great for designed plays and route running, unfortunately designed plays don't last long.

Tate and Kearse fit our QB's scrambling style when plays break down.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Is it mean to say I'm glad he got injured? I say this only because I had my doubts they wouldn't bring Tate back but I think it's pretty solid chance he returns to the team now. Just hope it doesn't cost us too much. Sherman, ET, RW3, Bruce, and more are still in line for contracts in the near future.

Top Bottom