• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Seattle Sports M's vs Seahawks

Idahawk

Reaction score
Both teams have went young and into rebuild mode?

Who does better in the short term and who does better in the long term?

And who becomes the new face of Seattle sports ? If anyone .

Reaction score
I think in the short term, probably the Seahawks. It takes longer to turn around a baseball team because it takes so much longer to develop players. That being said both teams have a lot of exciting young players.

As for the new face of seattle sports... That's tough, if Felix stays around for a while it will be tough for it not to be him.. I mean he's a few years away from even hitting his prime and he's already one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball.

Reaction score
Mariners have the pieces to be a competitive team in the near future. It's just a matter of whether they can play to their standards... It will be a long time til' we have to worry about pitching, which is kind of nice because now they can focus their attention on position players. This team is seriously a league average catcher, and a 30+ hr guy at 3rd from being a contender. But that's asking a lot of this team to acquire this kind of talent.

The Seahawks, because of the division they play in, are more prone to succeed faster than the Mariners.

Rangers aren't going to be bad anytime soon, and the Angels are only going to get better next season once their future stars get rolling. Guys like Trout, Trumbo, Conger, will all be stand out players next season. Then you have Morales.. I'd say around 2013, the Mariners will have the pieces to be a respectable team.

As far as the face of Seattle sports, I think Felix pretty much owns that right now, but Ackley isn't far behind at this point....

Reaction score
You're crazy if you think Ackley is on Felix's level already. Don't get me wrong, Ackley has been great, but Felix is one of the best pitchers in the entire league. Ackley is still figuring a lot of things out. Earl Thomas may be in the discussion for this if he develops into the ball hawk we all hope he's going to be. Another possible future face of seattle sports would be if we draft a QB that ends up being a star.

Its kind of funny how these teams are kind of mirroring each other, both have recently replaced 2 coaches and their GM, both have recently started a massive purge of their roster (and in the case of the mariners their farm system), now the seahwks have gone out and spent money on some big name free agents, this upcoming off season for the Mariners the mariners are finally getting out from under some terrible contracts (Silva, Betancourt, Bradley, etc) so they're going to have a lot of money they can go spend.

Reaction score
You're crazy if you think Ackley is on Felix's level already. Don't get me wrong, Ackley has been great, but Felix is one of the best pitchers in the entire league. Ackley is still figuring a lot of things out. Earl Thomas may be in the discussion for this if he develops into the ball hawk we all hope he's going to be. Another possible future face of seattle sports would be if we draft a QB that ends up being a star.

Its kind of funny how these teams are kind of mirroring each other, both have recently replaced 2 coaches and their GM, both have recently started a massive purge of their roster (and in the case of the mariners their farm system), now the seahwks have gone out and spent money on some big name free agents, this upcoming off season for the Mariners the mariners are finally getting out from under some terrible contracts (Silva, Betancourt, Bradley, etc) so they're going to have a lot of money they can go spend.

Not saying he's there yet, but among people who follow the franchise as closely as I do, (if you follow the likes of Dave Cameron, or Jeff Sullivan, and the community surrounding them) he's about AS liked as Felix, and in some cases, even more so. And surprisingly, Ackley isn't figuring out much, except for major league pitchers he hasn't yet faced. Which is absolutely insane. He has SOME things he needs to figure out, probably on the defensive side of the ball. But he's everything they could have asked for offensively, and more. Ackley is our Evan Longoria.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Seahawks for the short term just based on the M's horrible season this year and hawks weak division

Seahawks for the long term, I like what they are building with the M's, but the orginazation has never showed me that they can hold onto big time players (except for felix), where as PA has opened up his check book when managment has convinced him to do so... (even overpaying on many!).

Seahawks have been and always will be the face of seattle sports for the most part. I think football reigns king, the only exceptions that come to mind are the '95 M's and the Sonics in the early 90's.

Reaction score
And not just because he has the exact same batting stance, right? lol I agree, Ackley is absolutely ridiculous. No way I expected this from him. Pineda, Ackley, Smoak, and Felix are an amazing group of young players, I really like Ryan too. I'm skeptical of Gutierrez ever getting back to the offensive production he gave us in 2009, his health issues really derailed him. I also like Wells and I'm glad Carp is finally getting a chance because I think he can be a very good hitter.

Reaction score
Seahawks for the short term just based on the M's horrible season this year and hawks weak division

Seahawks for the long term, I like what they are building with the M's, but the orginazation has never showed me that they can hold onto big time players (except for felix), where as PA has opened up his check book when managment has convinced him to do so... (even overpaying on many!).

Seahawks have been and always will be the face of seattle sports for the most part. I think football reigns king, the only exceptions that come to mind are the '95 M's and the Sonics in the early 90's.

That's not really fair... I mean baseball doesn't have a salary cap so its harder for markets like Seattle to hold on to their stars when New York and Boston can spend twice as much as they can.

Reaction score
And not just because he has the exact same batting stance, right? lol I agree, Ackley is absolutely ridiculous. No way I expected this from him. Pineda, Ackley, Smoak, and Felix are an amazing group of young players, I really like Ryan too. I'm skeptical of Gutierrez ever getting back to the offensive production he gave us in 2009, his health issues really derailed him. I also like Wells and I'm glad Carp is finally getting a chance because I think he can be a very good hitter.

Haha no, not just because of that. Both players we're top 5 draft picks, both were praised from their offensive production, and both have done more offensively in their first seasons than anyone anticipated. Among other similarities...

But yea, they have a good young group of talent, throw in Blake Beavan into the mix as well ;)

They have a goooood young group of guys in the minors as well, Taijuan Walker, James Paxton, Nick Franklin, Guillermo Pimentel, and Danny Hultzen assuming he's going to sign.

Couple years from now, this team will be good.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
That's not really fair... I mean baseball doesn't have a salary cap so its harder for markets like Seattle to hold on to their stars when New York and Boston can spend twice as much as they can.

Its a reality, just seems we get good prospects, develop them they get gobbled up by bigger markets like you say.

OP
Idahawk

Idahawk

Reaction score
Funny no mention of Ichiro who is the face of mariner baseball , looks like he's not in the future according to you guys , and I agree .

Earl Thomas is the Seahawks best selling jersey as of right now , TJ and Rice jerseys arrive next week with the Rice jersey expected to do well . Mike Williams and Leon Washington are 2-3 behind ET according to the Seahawks pro shop.

I think as many others that football outshines baseball . The M's are building but they still need some power and relief pitching .

If Leon can get another return TD , he will be legend . ET also is a very exciting player . And Rice is at the QBs mercy . Those would my top 3 candidates

And let's not forget the 12 man ! We are the false start capital of the world and the loudest stadium in the NFL . No reason the fans can't be the face of Seattle sports

Reaction score
Haha no, not just because of that. Both players we're top 5 draft picks, both were praised from their offensive production, and both have done more offensively in their first seasons than anyone anticipated. Among other similarities...

But yea, they have a good young group of talent, throw in Blake Beavan into the mix as well ;)

They have a goooood young group of guys in the minors as well, Taijuan Walker, James Paxton, Nick Franklin, Guillermo Pimentel, and Danny Hultzen assuming he's going to sign.

Couple years from now, this team will be good.

Don't forget Trayvon Robinson, I'm not sold on him but he seems to have a lot of potential. Also the PTBNL from the Tigers trade is rumored to be Nick Castellanos who was the Tigers' first round pick last year who's a third baseman with a very high upside. Fransisco Martinez also seems to have a lot of potential. I'm amazed with the job Jack Z has done, he has completely rebuilt the farm system in the time he's been here. Before he was here our farm system was one of the worst in the league.

S

Seattlehawk94

This is a FOOTBALL TOWN...The LESSER team can give out all the bobbleheads they want, all WE THE FANS care about is the Blue and Green Football Machine...

Top Bottom