• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Russell to start game 3

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
It all needs to be taken into perspective. Just like the drop TO had that wouldve gone for a TD and Tate getting forced out of bounds. Moon said that wouldve been a TD a few years ago prior to the force-out rule change. Matt Flynn should've had 2TDs in that game... at least.

Those throws were great and not on flynn im sure the coaching staff is evaluating that correctly. But you have to admit there is something special about RW, and his passing has been amazing, he "flicks" the ball and goes 60 yards with tremendous accuracy and touch.

If the superbowl was Sunday who would be your starting QB???

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
Those throws were great and not on flynn im sure the coaching staff is evaluating that correctly. But you have to admit there is something special about RW, and his passing has been amazing, he "flicks" the ball and goes 60 yards with tremendous accuracy and touch.

WILSON

Reaction score

Who are we playing? If it's Denvers back-ups, I'm going with Wilson 10 out 10 times. If we're playing a Baltimore, with a hard nosed defense, then I'm going Flynn. Smart defenses are going to figure Russell out, and they will exploit him and cause him to make rookie mistakes.

And I am super stoked about Russell and his potential. Call me crazy, but I think one day this kid may lead us to the Lombardi! I just dont want a rookie out there week 1....

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
Who are we playing? If it's Denvers back-ups, I'm going with Wilson 10 out 10 times. If we're playing a Baltimore, with a hard nosed defense, then I'm going Flynn. Smart defenses are going to figure Russell out, and they will exploit him and cause him to make rookie mistakes.

And I am super stoked about Russell and his potential. Call me crazy, but I think one day this kid may lead us to the Lombardi! I just dont want a rookie out there week 1....
yEAH ITS SCARY TO SEE A ROOKIE OUT THERE.. BUT IF HE IS THE BETTER QB.. I would rather have the better QB playing .. would'nt you?

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I tell ya, I'm pretty torn about this. Both are accurate smart QB's. Flynn is more patient, Wilson is more dynamic. Wilson is short and that can't be overlooked. Flynn has the ability to stay in the pocket. imo pocket passers are just more effiecient in the NFL. Take a look a Vick's success and he is thought to be one of the best at avoiding pressure.

I agree ONE I really think PC's high energy outlook may win Wilson the job. I think Wilson is an amazing player but I don't think he has what it takes for the long term and will end up like Vick. It could be a lot of fun to watch up until he can't outrun the rush. Sorry but we had Seneca and it didn't work.

Flynn isn't restricted in what he can do at 27 he could give us 10 years of success much like Hass. And while I'm a huge fan of Hass, at this point in his career Hass wasn't as smart or as careful with the ball. Flynn seems to do very well under pressure.

I can't knock PC for his upbeat outlook but this isn't college, this is the NFL and we need an NFL QB.

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
I tell ya, I'm pretty torn about this. Both are accurate smart QB's. Flynn is more patient, Wilson is more dynamic. Wilson is short and that can't be overlooked. Flynn has the ability to stay in the pocket. imo pocket passers are just more effiecient in the NFL. Take a look a Vick's success and he is thought to be one of the best at avoiding pressure.

I agree ONE I really think PC's high energy outlook may win Wilson the job. I think Wilson is an amazing player but I don't think he has what it takes for the long term and will end up like Vick. It could be a lot of fun to watch up until he can't outrun the rush. Sorry but we had Seneca and it didn't work.

Flynn isn't restricted in what he can do at 27 he could give us 10 years of success much like Hass. And while I'm a huge fan of Hass, at this point in his career Hass wasn't as smart or as careful with the ball. Flynn seems to do very well under pressure.
first of all you cant compare Seneca with Wilson.. Seneca had no ability to look down field while he was avoiding the rush..2nd Wilson is a way smarter QB then Seneca, knows when to throw the ball away and knows when to slide to avoid the big hit...

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
.. BUT IF HE IS THE BETTER QB..

Call me old skool, but he (RW) has to be WAY, WAY, better to make that move. I mean like sensational this Friday, otherwise, go with Flynn, a guy that has also played well thus far, been in the league 4 years, and been waiting patiently for his oppurtunity. I like Flynns demeanor too, not to excitable, even keeled, seems have good leadship qualities, someone that RW could play behind until he gets that oppurtunity which will come.
Starting a QB before they are ready can ruin them, lots of example of that throughout history.

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Honestly this is not a bad problem to have:) at least we have two , some would say 3 viable starters on our roster.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, I really don't expect Flynn will feel like sticking around if Wilson is named the starter.

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
thats true, and I would much rather have two good QB's instead of one
No doubt it would cause it some dessention in the QB warroom. They signed (literaly) up for this...

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Call me old skool, but he (RW) has to be WAY, WAY, better to make that move. I mean like sensational this Friday, otherwise, go with Flynn, a guy that has also played well thus far, been in the league 4 years, and been waiting patiently for his oppurtunity. I like Flynns demeanor too, not to excitable, even keeled, seems have good leadship qualities, someone that RW could play behind until he gets that oppurtunity which will come.
Starting a QB before they are ready can ruin them, lots of example of that throughout history.

I'll call you exactly right. It had better be a KO with Wilson outdoing Flynn in every stat. If Wilson starts and can out perform Flynn while he is facing 2nd stringers than it would be cut and dry who is the better QB. Especially if we see it again in Game 4.

I expect that it will go the other way and Flynn will be the clear choice.

I don't think anyone in thier right mind should start a Rookie QB unless they were drafted 1 or 2.

Unfortunatly this is going to make it a much rougher start to this season.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
first of all you cant compare Seneca with Wilson.. Seneca had no ability to look down field while he was avoiding the rush..2nd Wilson is a way smarter QB then Seneca, knows when to throw the ball away and knows when to slide to avoid the big hit...

Yeah that was a bit of stretch but I was referencing thier similar characteristics.

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't think anyone in thier right mind should start a Rookie QB unless they were drafted 1 or 2.
[/quote]

OR IF THEY ARE DOING IT OUT OF NECESSITY! (Maimi, 4Skins, Colts).

I guess they dont call him "BIG BALLS PETE" for nothin!

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
PC just told me on twitter : my question was "how hard is the decision on your starting QB"... PC answer : " its not hard, its just taking time to give them enough chances"

OP
szat

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Cmoney, followed ;)

Yeah looks like Pete just did a Q & A on twitter.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score

OR IF THEY ARE DOING IT OUT OF NECESSITY! (Maimi, 4Skins, Colts).

I guess they dont call him "BIG BALLS PETE" for nothin![/quote]

Dude, picks 1, 2 and 8 don't come close to 75.

Reaction score
yEAH ITS SCARY TO SEE A ROOKIE OUT THERE.. BUT IF HE IS THE BETTER QB.. I would rather have the better QB playing .. would'nt you?

I would start the QB that is better suited to play in the NFL RIGHT NOW. Flynn has shown this preseason and in his two regular season starts that he can manage this type of offense very well. Flynn will not dazzle you with deep bombs and 30+ yard scrambles. Flynn will dink and dunk, make good calls at the line, make good reads, move the chains and occassionally throw the ball down field 3 to 4 times and hopefully his receiver (cough TO cough) can come down with an easy TD. Flynn will limit turnovers and mistakes. He makes good decisions with the ball. Flynn seems to be ideal for what Pete wants in a QB. A point guard for the offense. I distributor.

Russell has looked sensational. He's got franchise QB written all over him despite his size. It is hard not to get too excited, but its important to remember that he is doing this against back-ups and defenses that have not game planned. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but Portis looked pretty solid last year in the same role. I would hate for Russell to start before he is ready. It could kill his confidence and our season. I could be wrong. I stay say play it safe, and go with Flynn to start the season. If Flynn isnt the man, then it's easier to make that transition than vice versa.

Reaction score
PC just told me on twitter : my question was "how hard is the decision on your starting QB"... PC answer : " its not hard, its just taking time to give them enough chances"

See, its answers like that which give me the feeling they already have their minds made up.... But Pete is never honest or direct with what he says. It's frustrating!

Top Bottom