• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Report: Seahawks will dump Red Bryant

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
Report: Seahawks will dump Red Bryant
Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
bryant.jpg
Getty Images
With defensive end Michael Bennett due to become a free agent and determined to get a contract far more lucrative than the one-year, $5 million deal he signed last year, the Seahawks plan to create some cap space by parting ways with another defensive end.
Alex Marvez of FOX Sports reports that the Seahawks are expected to cut Red Bryant. The cap space would be then used to help keep Bennett.
Bryant has a cap number of $8.5 million, coming from a $4.5 million base salary, a $3 million roster bonus, and $1 million in signing bonus allocation. Cutting him without the post-June 1 designation would result in a cap charge of $3 million, creating $5.5 million in immediate cap space. Cutting him with the post-June 1 designation would require the Seahawks to carry the $8.5 million until June 1, at which time $7.5 million in cap space would be created. The remaining $2 million in dead money would hit the cap in 2015.
Bryant, a fourth-round pick in 2008, started 15 regular-season games and two playoff games in 2013. He had only 1.5 sacks for the entire year.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Red might not get the sack numbers , but he along with Mebane are the run stuffers and why we are so good at it. Bad bad bad bad move if it happens

Free Brandon Browner

OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
February 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM
On cutting Red Bryant
Posted by Bob Condotta
So, as noted in the post below, the big news of the night is that the Seahawks may be on the verge of releasing Red Bryant.
That news, while widely speculated for a while now, seemed to become more serious tonight thanks to this Tweet:
However, since then has come this from NFL.com that says the team is merely “strongly considering” releasing Bryant.
That’s obviously a little different than the Marvez Tweet, which makes it sound like a done deal.
That the team would be considering releasing Bryant, though, isn’t really huge news as that has been speculated for months.
Bryant, who will turn 30 in April, is due to have an $8.5 million cap hit next season, which includes a $3 million bonus if he is on the roster March 14. Cutting players with big salaries looming happens all the time in the NFL, even if it may feel new to the current version of the Seahawks — due to the youth of the team, Seattle has been able to avoid having to make really painful cuts the last few years.
But because of the finances involved, many have speculated the team would explore whether it needed to cut Bryant, especially with other pressing needs, such as attempting to re-sign Michael Bennett, as is mentioned by Marvez.
Bryant would be a tough loss for the locker room — he was the defensive team captain this year as voted by his teammates and has the second-longest tenure on the team, drafted in 2008 (Brandon Mebane, taken in 2007, is the only player who has been on the team longer than Bryant). He’s an undeniable leader of the defensive line, which was as key to the Super Bowl season as any other aspect of the team. You don’t need to spend more than about 10 minutes in the locker room to feel what an influence he is on everybody he is in there.
But Bryant’s on-field role had also become pretty selective as the year progressed as he had emerged as largely an early-down run stopper — recall that he played just 18 of a possible 69 defensive snaps in the Super Bowl and technically didn’t start the game as Seattle began with its nickel defense package.

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Hate seeing Red go, but its about the future.

Sent from a cell at the CLink...

RenegadeHawkFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Sucks but he only played like 30% of defensive snaps. Its hard to do but im taking bennett over him anyday. That much money for a guy like red just isnt a good plan for us to sustain our success. Makes sense, but still sucks. At least he got a ring.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Big Red just hasn't been as impactful of a player the last 2 years. Stuffing the run isnt good enuff, and we have a couple of guys in the wings (jesse, Scruggs) that may be able to come in for that role.

Time to see what some of this next crop can do.

Idahawk

Reaction score
Bennett took a one year ( prove yourself ) contract and he wants paid and paid long term this time . What he'll demand will blow Reds deal out of the water I'm sure , costing us even more .

We could actually lose both guys in all honesty .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Bennett took a one year ( prove yourself ) contract and he wants paid and paid long term this time . What he'll demand will blow Reds deal out of the water I'm sure , costing us even more .

We could actually lose both guys in all honesty .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You think so? If that is the case, there are alot of good looking DE/DT in the draft. We could sign Tate, Baldwin, and maybe Thurmond with that kind of money, no need to handicap ourselves.

Idahawk

Reaction score
What is a guy like Bennett worth? 3 years 10 million, go longer and back load it? Would he take that ? He got 5 for last season , which is high because it was a one year deal . It's all about up front money for these guys . I'm no cap expert I'm just basing my opinion on Bennett's public comments , he using the " best for my family line " and that's usually not good .he's striking while the irons hot .

Free Brandon Browner

RenegadeHawkFan

Huddler
Reaction score
What is a guy like Bennett worth? 3 years 10 million, go longer and back load it? Would he take that ? He got 5 for last season , which is high because it was a one year deal . It's all about up front money for these guys . I'm no cap expert I'm just basing my opinion on Bennett's public comments , he using the " best for my family line " and that's usually not good .he's striking while the irons hot .

Free Brandon Browner
I think bennett will be more in the 7-8 mil per year range, i think we can keep him with how much the cap is increasing. Rumored to go up to as much 132 mil. If it does i think wed have enought to resign bennett, tate, and extend earl and maybe sherm too.

Reaction score

Free Brandon Browner

His agent is Drew Rosenhaus, the biggest scumbag in the game. I'm sure he's coached Bennett up on what to say and what not to say. Like you pointed out, Bennett signed a one year deal and took a gamble on himself. He played great, and he didn’t even start. He deserves to get paid.

Would you have expected Bennett to say anything else? I didn’t and I don’t blame the guy. I think he has more leverage than a guy like Tate who said he’d take a “little less”. Guys like Bennett are hard to find. He’s versatile. He can play the 3 or the 5 technique. He can stuff the run, he can rush the pass and has good speed and strength to get off a block and chase down a running back. What was the one glaring weakness on this team in 2012? Their lack of pass rush. They addressed that by signing Bennett and Avril. Even though Avril is still on the books, I think Bennett is a crucial piece of the puzzle. The reason this team won the Super Bowl was this defense, no doubt about it. The constant pass rush and pressure in Manning’s face was the key, IMO. Bennett must be resigned. Bennett WILL be resigned.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I have no problem with Bennett's comments or him wanting to get paid. I just feel based on his situation he's going for the big bucks whomever gives it to him. I hope we can keep him I like the dude , great story being cut by the Hawks and coming back to win a SB ....let's hope he's does take a hometown discount .

Free Brandon Browner

Reaction score
I have no problem with Bennett's comments or him wanting to get paid. I just feel based on his situation he's going for the big bucks whomever gives it to him. I hope we can keep him I like the dude , great story being cut by the Hawks and coming back to win a SB ....let's hope he's does take a hometown discount .

Free Brandon Browner
That's why I think it's key for the Seahawks to get something done before he hits the FA market. Probably the reason guys are getting cut. The Hawks will have plenty of cap space to get it done.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I agree but these things tend to go the other way , the player wants to go get a number elsewhere and have the current team beat it or at least match it should the player wish to stay on his current team . I certainly think MB would stay if it were close. The bad part is teams way over pay for Super Bowl winners

Free Brandon Browner

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
That's why I think it's key for the Seahawks to get something done before he hits the FA market. Probably the reason guys are getting cut. The Hawks will have plenty of cap space to get it done.

We have plenty of cap space if he doesnt go for the highest $$, if he wants Mario Williams money then I say forget you.
Someone might be willing to offer it, but I hope it isnt us.

Also there are some interesting FA DE that have all the money and are hungry for a ring...

i.e.

Jared-Allen.jpg

Idahawk

Reaction score
We have plenty of cap space if he doesnt go for the highest $$, if he wants Mario Williams money then I say forget you.
Someone might be willing to offer it, but I hope it isnt us.

Also there are some interesting FA DE that have all the money and are hungry for a ring...

i.e.

Jared-Allen.jpg

That's my opinion as well , for a reasonable price I'd love the dude back ... Blockbuster payday NO thanks .

I love Jared Allen , he could do a few seasons in spot duty , he's a hungry for a ring with a few connections on board with the Hawks , nice call .

Free Brandon Browner

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I love Jared Allen , he could do a few seasons in spot duty , he's a hungry for a ring with a few connections on board with the Hawks , nice call .
I've bveen hearing some talk about him possibly coming here, even at a discount. The Seahawks have expressed interest in the past about Allen too so that lends the rumor a bit of credibility.
If his price is too high though, I'm guessing the Hawks would probably try and acquire Everson Griffen. Griffen's 26 and seems like a Pete Carroll kind of player. He might be similar to Bennett and Avril too in which he might not have hit his peak yet before coming here and still has upside.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I've bveen hearing some talk about him possibly coming here, even at a discount. The Seahawks have expressed interest in the past about Allen too so that lends the rumor a bit of credibility.
If his price is too high though, I'm guessing the Hawks would probably try and acquire Everson Griffen. Griffen's 26 and seems like a Pete Carroll kind of player. He might be similar to Bennett and Avril too in which he might not have hit his peak yet before coming here and still has upside.

I think our only chance to get Jared is if he wants to get a ring, He's already made over $60M in the NFL!
So if he would take 7-8 we were offering Bennett, then we should nap him.
He is 31 but look at his stats, he is a monster!

Everson would be a nice LE to have.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Griffen's name is out there as a possible cheaper alternative to Bennett if Bennett moves on. He seems like the far more likely scenario over Allen for several reasons. Allen's a 3rd contract guy and he's in his 30s so probably the only way the Hawks would be interested is if Allen would be willing to commit to a 1 year deal or maybe 2. The Hawks are gonna want him off the books no later than '15. It's doubtful Allen is gonna want to do that, even to get a ring.
Bennett and Avril were both 2nd contract guys still in their 20s, which fits the category of the type of free agents the Hawks like to go after and Griffen at 26 and just coming off a $650K rookie deal definitely qualifies. His skillset is fairly similar to Bennett's but maybe doesn't quite have the versatility to move him inside and out like they can with Bennett.
They know that a big key to staying on top is staying as young and inexpensive as possible. Too many 3rd contract guys would sink them straight to the bottom.

Then again if the market for DEs is still as soft as it was last year, Allen might be willing to do a 1 year deal, like Bennett did.

Last edited:
OP
S

seer-12thman

Huddler
Reaction score
The players the Seahawks are talking about cutting I don't understand why they couldn't get some draft picks for them. Bryant should be worth maybe a third round pick and Rice should be worth some kind of pick. I would hate to see either one wind up on teams in the division without them giving up something for them. Whiners seem to try and pick up every player the Hawks get rid of.

Top Bottom