• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL Draft in less than two weeks......

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
We all know that YouTube videos aren't really film, but who on this site has access to "film". We may have a few games taped that we can watch, but that isn't "film" either. But grabbing a dozen highlight reels off YouTube is better than just reading what someone else wrote based on what someone else wrote based on who only knows what. But please let us know if you have a better avenue to actually watch some of these guys.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
The comment wasn’t directed at JUST you…
As great as real film is, none of us have access to it and so the Combine is an important tool for those of us (fans) who don’t have access to film.
I agree it should not be the only thing we base our assessments on, but they measure a lot of important intangibles that can tell us a lot about how successful a player might be in the NFL.
And the whole YOUTUBE thing, you could probably find highlights on just about anyone drafted in the top 15 in the last 10 years. All of whom looked great on their highlight reels, but once they go to the NFL some were busts.
You can have a DE that puts up 20 sacks a season, but once he gets to the NFL he gets owned by the Tackles at the next level.
There is more to it than looking good on film, or highlight reels… All I’m saying..

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
Anyone belive my picks now? Williams and Morgan? Especiall now that Kerney is done.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
12thManFan;47121 said:
Anyone belive my picks now? Williams and Morgan? Especiall now that Kerney is done.

No, because I don't think Morgan will be there at 14. And Williams may not be there at 6. But I already said that, didn't I. Berry and Brown.

I have been upset that we didn't go after Kampman or Alex Brown... now I'm just dumbfounded. The team must have known, and how did we respond? We shipped Tapp off and signed a guy that is nothing more than a camp position holder. UGH!!!

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm personally upset we didn't land Marshall, I know he wanted big money and Denver wanted two 2nd round picks, but now it's another issue we have to try and address in the 2nd or 4th round, and nothings proven, unlike Marshall...

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
D Hawk;47132 said:
No, because I don't think Morgan will be there at 14. And Williams may not be there at 6. But I already said that, didn't I. Berry and Brown.

I have been upset that we didn't go after Kampman or Alex Brown... now I'm just dumbfounded. The team must have known, and how did we respond? We shipped Tapp off and signed a guy that is nothing more than a camp position holder. UGH!!!

You really don't know what you're talking about do you? Alex Brown won't fit in a 3-4 Defense. Ok so Morgan probably won't be available but I can hope, right? I think now our 14th pick will be either Mays, Thomas, Pierre-Paul, or Spiller. I just hope we don't take Berry at 6. We need a franchise LT no matter what. We need what's most important, not who's the most talented. Oh and by the way, Morgan could fall as far as the 15-16th pick in a lot of mock drafts. Just sayin'...

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Well that was rude, aside from being a vacant comment. We don't run a 3 -4, and despite the talk, we aren't moving to a 3-4. We will most likely run Carrol's 4-3 with an elephant DE. Three down lineman, an upright DE and 3 LBs. Perhaps you need to research what Carrol ran at USC... Alex Brown would have fit right in.

I know we need a LT. We all know that. But why draft a so-so guy at #6 that isn't a top-10 talent when you can get a guy who is just as good / has as much promise at 14? And yes... I want to draft the best safety to come out since I don't know... Easley maybe? And if you haven't looked at our roster lately, we have 2 safeties on it. TWO! And while we may be fond of Babs, he isn't a top safety. And is Jamar Adams who you want starting next to him? Unless Atogwe gets released and we finally do something in FA, we are screwed at safety if we don't take Berry or Thomas, neither of whom will still be there at 14. But please... just tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and don't confuse me further with any facts.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;47111 said:
The comment wasn’t directed at JUST you…
As great as real film is, none of us have access to it and so the Combine is an important tool for those of us (fans) who don’t have access to film.
I agree it should not be the only thing we base our assessments on, but they measure a lot of important intangibles that can tell us a lot about how successful a player might be in the NFL.
And the whole YOUTUBE thing, you could probably find highlights on just about anyone drafted in the top 15 in the last 10 years. All of whom looked great on their highlight reels, but once they go to the NFL some were busts.
You can have a DE that puts up 20 sacks a season, but once he gets to the NFL he gets owned by the Tackles at the next level.
There is more to it than looking good on film, or highlight reels… All I’m saying..
What i was saying is i made no reference to youtube videos being film because theyre not. Any player, not just top 15-20 can have a highlight video. There are ways to look at intangibles on film. You dont look at results, you look at tools and technique and pure athletic ability. There are tons of players that test well when not padded up and are on a track that dont play at near the speed people would think they would and vice versa. The combine is good for if you arent quite sure on how fast someone is or how good their feet are, but in all honesty it is probably 5 or 10% of what is looked at from pro scouts. Look at Haywayrd Bay, ran a crazy 40 time at the combine last year but there is a reason he wasnt successful in the nfl and will never be a number 1 receiver because running on a track in a straight line with no pads on says nothing about how someone plays football and scouts know that. It is just a little extra read on someones athletic ability.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Heyward-Bey wasn't successful because he plays for the Raiders...

I did not say the combine was the outmost important thing when assessing an NFL prospect.

But, if it wasn't important, I don't think it would be such a damn big deal to NFL FO's...

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE;47174 said:
Heyward-Bey wasn't successful because he plays for the Raiders...

I did not say the combine was the outmost important thing when assessing an NFL prospect.

But, if it wasn't important, I don't think it would be such a damn big deal to NFL FO's...
I didnt say it wasnt important at all, it just isnt as big of an asessment as you think it is. People make way too big of a deal over combine numbers. How does Trent Williams running a 4.8 40 yard dash on a track with no pads on translate to him being a great blocker on a quarterbacks blindside? He was the original reason for me bringing up the combine in the first place. So tell me how that tells people that he can all of a sudden be a franchise LT when since he has been in college and leading up to the combine just about every scout said that he wont be able to succeed at LT in the NFL. It shows he is athletic yes, but him running a straight line for 40 yards and yes ill say it again, on a track with no pads on doesnt say squat about whether he can play LT or not.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;47207 said:
I didnt say it wasnt important at all, it just isnt as big of an asessment as you think it is. People make way too big of a deal over combine numbers. How does Trent Williams running a 4.8 40 yard dash on a track with no pads on translate to him being a great blocker on a quarterbacks blindside? He was the original reason for me bringing up the combine in the first place. So tell me how that tells people that he can all of a sudden be a franchise LT when since he has been in college and leading up to the combine just about every scout said that he wont be able to succeed at LT in the NFL. It shows he is athletic yes, but him running a straight line for 40 yards and yes ill say it again, on a track with no pads on doesnt say squat about whether he can play LT or not.
Man why do you act like they only run 40's at the combine..... they do OL drills, and that stuff tells you how good their technique is and how quick their feet are and how well they can block..... and just so you know the forty time is broken into 10yrds-20yrds-30yrds-40yrds... there is a time for every ten yards and when your tackle has to sprint out about 10yrds to throw a block for the RB the speed he got on his 40 matters.

12thManFan

Huddler
Reaction score
D Hawk;47161 said:
Well that was rude, aside from being a vacant comment. We don't run a 3 -4, and despite the talk, we aren't moving to a 3-4. We will most likely run Carrol's 4-3 with an elephant DE. Three down lineman, an upright DE and 3 LBs. Perhaps you need to research what Carrol ran at USC... Alex Brown would have fit right in.

I know we need a LT. We all know that. But why draft a so-so guy at #6 that isn't a top-10 talent when you can get a guy who is just as good / has as much promise at 14? And yes... I want to draft the best safety to come out since I don't know... Easley maybe? And if you haven't looked at our roster lately, we have 2 safeties on it. TWO! And while we may be fond of Babs, he isn't a top safety. And is Jamar Adams who you want starting next to him? Unless Atogwe gets released and we finally do something in FA, we are screwed at safety if we don't take Berry or Thomas, neither of whom will still be there at 14. But please... just tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and don't confuse me further with any facts.

They have already stated we are switching to a 3-4, check on Seahawks website every now and then you'll see...I don't know where your getting this stuff except from college. And last time I checked they're not the same. I don't maybe it's just me. And I understand safety is a need but take Chad Jones in the third a that solves that. DE is a need now that Kerney is gone. He led the team in sacks last year and now he's gone.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
12thManFan;47227 said:
They have already stated we are switching to a 3-4, check on Seahawks website every now and then you'll see...I don't know where your getting this stuff except from college. And last time I checked they're not the same. I don't maybe it's just me. And I understand safety is a need but take Chad Jones in the third a that solves that. DE is a need now that Kerney is gone. He led the team in sacks last year and now he's gone.
We dont have a 3rd round pick man.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
EricOV;47225 said:
Man why do you act like they only run 40's at the combine..... they do OL drills, and that stuff tells you how good their technique is and how quick their feet are and how well they can block..... and just so you know the forty time is broken into 10yrds-20yrds-30yrds-40yrds... there is a time for every ten yards and when your tackle has to sprint out about 10yrds to throw a block for the RB the speed he got on his 40 matters.
The 40 yard dash is just my example man. Before the combine and everyone saw what he had done there he was probably rated as the 4th best tackle in this years class, which i think is accurate based on what he has done and how he played in college. Dont get me wrong, i watched every second of the combine and his athleticism impressed me as well. But if from watching him all through college scouts thought he might not be a LT in the NFL, the combine shouldnt change their minds or anyone elses. I dont think he is worthy of a top 10 pick. When you get around our 14th pick and we didnt take a LT with the 6th pick and he is still there then I like taking a chance on him and think the value at that pick would be a lot better.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
12thManFan;47227 said:

i do follow seahawks.com andtheir blogs and interviews. Guess I'm one of themany that missed the 3-4 announcement - anybody else see that? If we are we need another LB now. But at least I follow the team enough to know we don't have a 3rd round pick. Berry will make SO much more of an imppact in the NFL than Trent. And isn't P P a 4-3 end?

Reaction score
D Hawk;47240 said:
i do follow seahawks.com andtheir blogs and interviews. Guess I'm one of themany that missed the 3-4 announcement - anybody else see that? If we are we need another LB now. But at least I follow the team enough to know we don't have a 3rd round pick. Berry will make SO much more of an imppact in the NFL than Trent. And isn't P P a 4-3 end?
I'm one of the many as well. If they have made the switch to a 3-4 defense then the media at the Mini Camps would have saw it and said something about it.

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't know WHAT this dude is smoking, but at no given point have the Seahawks EVER announced or decided to switch to the 3-4, as another member pointed out, an extra QUALITY linebacker is Pretty crucial to that happening and we're definitely not drafting another LB in the first round, more less Outside Linebacker.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't know why they would have brought Kampman in if they were looking to go to a 3-4. He already showed he can't play that scheme. But - you have to love being told that "you really don't know what you're talking about, do you" by a fellow 12th man... especially when he is the clueless one. I think we may have a rogue 40whiner fan that has infiltrated our ranks!

A lot of people misunderstand the 4-3 elephant package, though. They see one of the DEs in an upright position and assume it is a LB. But he plays as a DE. I think Reed will do well in that formation.

Reaction score
dmarkholt12;47239 said:
The 40 yard dash is just my example man. Before the combine and everyone saw what he had done there he was probably rated as the 4th best tackle in this years class, which i think is accurate based on what he has done and how he played in college. Dont get me wrong, i watched every second of the combine and his athleticism impressed me as well. But if from watching him all through college scouts thought he might not be a LT in the NFL, the combine shouldnt change their minds or anyone elses. I dont think he is worthy of a top 10 pick. When you get around our 14th pick and we didnt take a LT with the 6th pick and he is still there then I like taking a chance on him and think the value at that pick would be a lot better.
I never said i think we should draft him... i was simply making the point that the combine should matter.... and if you say everything that is needed to be know about how well a player will do in the NFL, can be seen from just watching the games... Then why the hell is there a Freakin Combine... I think that if you see a guy who is good at the game then see that he has great athleticism( at the Combine) you automatically think that you can turn him from good to great that is why his rating is bumped up.

So in short.... I believe the Combine is a good source for figuring out a players Potential.

Dude that said we are going to switch to3/4: We aren't going to switch to 3/4 if they were planning to switch then they would have already switched... before they started practicing the new play book..

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
12man... Pete didn't run a 3-4 in college, why the hell would he run it now?

Kerney leaving doesn't create a hole, the hole was already there. He recorded 5 sacks last season, and was only playing because of his big contract.

Even if the hawks decided to go to a 3-4, we don't have the personnel for it. Our linebackers are on the small side, except for Curry and our D line is not very stout.

Plus, I DID read on Seahawks.com an interview Curry did regarding him playing the rushing LB/DE in the Elephant defense package.

So... NO 3-4, STFU!!

Top Bottom