• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL.com mock

Reaction score
Now way we go QB with these 2. If Bradford came out I'd have said hell yeah but OT is the way to go at the 4 but if the top 2 are gone we may have to trade down.

1. Lions Eugene Monroe OT Virginia Jason Smith
Players under consideration include Jason Smith and Matthew Stafford. Monroe and Smith have been impressive in their workouts and interviews. The Lions can't go wrong with either tackle and they can come back later in the round for defensive help. If Stafford lights it up later this week in his workout, then maybe he moves up, but right now I'll stick with a tackle. Monroe was sensational in his 25-minute interview with me and my radio partner, Tim Ryan, this week. I would like to see Detroit trade for Derek Anderson with the top pick in the second round. The trade for Julian Peterson probably takes Aaron Curry out of the top spot.

Eugene Monroe: Combine highlights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Rams Jason Smith OT Baylor Eugene Monroe
Players under consideration include Michael Crabtree and Andre Smith. The Rams let Orlando Pace and Torry Holt go, which means they could go for Crabtree or Jason Smith at this spot. Rams GM Bill Devaney likes to build a team from the inside out, so I'll stick with the tackle.

Jason Smith: Combine highlights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Chiefs Everette Brown DE/LB Florida State Brian Orakpo
Players under consideration include Brian Orakpo and B.J. Raji. The Chiefs need a pass rush and they need outside linebackers for the 3-4 conversion. They have their choice at this spot, and after talking with Brown this week, I can see why he's moving up draft boards. Brown is a classy young man with pass-rush talent. Raji would solve the issue at nose tackle, but his height (under 6-foot-2) makes him better suited for a 4-3 defense. Of course, trading for Matt Cassel takes them out of the Stafford business.

Everette Brown: Combine highlights

4. Seahawks Matthew Stafford QB Georgia Matthew Stafford
Players under consideration include Brian Orakpo and Aaron Curry. Seattle has needs beyond a future quarterback and it is always hard to pass up those needs to look down the road, but the Seahawks may have Stafford fall in their lap. If they pass, there's no guarantee they see a quarterback like him again in the next few years when they select. Trading for Cory Redding resolves the defensive line issue, but opened up an issue at linebacker.

Matthew Stafford: Combine highlights

5. Browns Brian Orakpo DE/LB Texas Aaron Curry
Players under consideration include Aaron Curry and Malcolm Jenkins. The Browns can't apply pressure on opposing quarterbacks, and they have a chance to improve on that at the No. 5 spot. Nothing they have done in the offseason has shored up the pass rush.

Brian Orakpo: Combine highlights | First draft

6. Bengals B.J. Raji DT Boston College Michael Crabtree
Players under consideration include Michael Crabtree and Andre Smith. The Bengals need offensive tackle help, but they always need defensive line help. If the Bengals can't stop the running attacks of the Browns, Ravens and Steelers, they'll never win. It is time to help the defense. On offense, Laveranues Coles replaced T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Andrew Whitworth can move to offensive tackle.

B.J. Raji: Combine highlights

7. Raiders Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech Jeremy Maclin
Players under consideration include Andre Smith and Peria Jerry. The Raiders get a big-time playmaker who should have gone earlier if not for the foot surgery. Signing Khalif Barnes helps the offensive line issues.

Michael Crabtree: Combine chat | Surgery decision

8. Jaguars Mark Sanchez QB USC Mark Sanchez
Players under consideration include Andre Smith and Jeremy Maclin. The Jaguars are in the same boat as the Seahawks. Lots of personnel issues, but a chance to take the quarterback of the future. David Garrard had a down year in 2008, but is still a good player. He is not scheduled for any roster bonuses after 2009 and in 2010. If Sanchez was ready, then the Jaguars could walk away from Garrard and save close to $8 million. The unfortunate release of Matt Jones has put a lot of stress on the receivers.

Reaction score
NFL.com: (Different Sports Writer)

Lions - Matthew Stafford
The Lions could get involved in trade talks for Cutler, but would they really want a quarterback who has been so outspoken about getting his feelings hurt? Stafford said he wants to play for the Lions and could be groomed for at least half a season while Daunte Culpepper holds things down.

Rams - Jason Smith
Just because the Rams cut OT Orlando Pace doesn't mean that is the reason they will draft a tackle. They will select a tackle because Smith or Eugene Monroe is the best offensive player on the board at this point. They have to address the O-line now because quality offensive linemen are going to come off the board in a hurry.

Chiefs - Aaron Curry
Curry is viewed as the best overall player in the draft. The Chiefs have a lot of needs and could go with an offensive lineman here or be a trade partner for a team like the Eagles, who are trying to move up to get an elite offensive tackle. Curry might be too good to bypass, though.

Seahawks - Michael Crabtree
The Seahawks supposedly are looking for a "playmaker" who can stretch the field. They can get that with Crabtree here or trade down and take a deep-ball threat, like Hakeem Nicks, between picks 20 and 32. They possess the ideal trade position. They also could go with Virginia offensive tackle Eugene Monroe.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I dont know that we have talked to Stafford ?? I know we attended the Kansas and CW pro days I think we are looking at a QB in the late rounds to replace Frye but ....not with the first pick. I can think out of the box ..but even my dumbass , won't go there :roll:

Idahawk

Reaction score
We are in the catbirds seat for a trade..I will say that..and RB and CB are needs just not a value at 4...I still think a team that wants a QB will chest up on draft day, The Lions are in need of a Qb , same could be said for the rams and their youth movement...Bulger has not panned out. this draft will be very interesting....

Reaction score
I just don't see Stafford making it past two teams that need him a lot more than we do. The Lions don't have a QB for the future or even this season who can make an impact. Calvin Johnson is a great WR and if you throw a guy with a big arm in there they can be a great combo for many years.

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
The Lions might draft an OT and then wait till their second pick in the first round to draft a QB like Josh Freeman, then the Rams take an OT then the Chiefs take Curry. It could go like this:

1. Jason Smith
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Aaron Curry
4. Matthew Stafford

I doubt it will but it's entirely possible and something to think about.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
Freeman will be gone in the first.
He is the 3rd rated QB

sigpro said:
The Lions might draft an OT and then wait till their second pick in the first round to draft a QB like Josh Freeman, then the Rams take an OT then the Chiefs take Curry. It could go like this:

1. Jason Smith
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Aaron Curry
4. Matthew Stafford

76hawksfan

Huddler
Reaction score
i'm hoping with the departure of Engram that the hawks throw caution to the wind and draft Crabtree for the 4th pick, then go OT, RB, and DT. Matt still has a couple more good years in him and next years QB crop looks a little better imo.

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
SeahawkWag said:
He is the 3rd rated QB

sigpro said:

1. Jason Smith
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Aaron Curry
4. Matthew Stafford

The Lions have two first round picks, number 1 overall and number 20 overall. It is entirely possible Freeman will be there at number 20 overall, do some research.

Reaction score
sigpro said:
SeahawkWag said:
He is the 3rd rated QB

sigpro said:

1. Jason Smith
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Aaron Curry
4. Matthew Stafford

The Lions have two first round picks, number 1 overall and number 20 overall. It is entirely possible Freeman will be there at number 20 overall, do some research.
He knows they have two first picks, he never said they didn't. What he did say was that he will probably be gone and I agree with that.

The 49ers, Jets, Bears, and Buccaneers have picks before the Lions 2nd pick in the 1st round and all 4 of them could use a QB, especially the Buccaneers and Jets. I've heard them talking about the Jets taking Freeman on NFL Network a few times and it really wouldn't surprise me if they did draft him.

sigpro

Huddler
Reaction score
I think the Jets are going with RB Chris Wells. The 49ers are destined to take Sanchez. The Bears have line issues both offensive on defensive(mainly right tackle and defensive end) so they will fill one of those spots. The bucs at 19 are a good possibility, they have to take a quarterback some time early on day one.

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
Lions, Jets, Jacksonville, SF, maybe even Denver now, and the Bears needs a QB

Stafford and Sanchez will be gone by the 10th pick

Reaction score
The Buccs gave up on Jeff Garcia and it really wouldn't hurt for them to draft Freeman if he is on the board. If he isn't then you would probably see them going after another need (Maybe RB), but I don't believe there are any other QB's that will go before the 20th pick.

I've heard that the 49ers could take Sanchez and that would make since, but they have 3 guys right now going after the starting spot so it wouldn't make since if you look at that, but if you look at those guys statistically, you would have to consider taking Sanchez.

The Jets drafted a QB and had another guy who can take over the job, but I still think if Freeman is on the board they could think about taking him or if Sanchez drops down that far like Quinn did a few years ago where he dropped down a lot further than most Mock Drafts had him.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I think we are in for a long boring draft....I see us somehow dealing our first pick away . And then focusing on depth in the areas we need As is stands right now we are down a RB and a FB and some think LB..but we did resign two LB's already. We could have 12 picks this draft....so all of our areas of need can be addressed with affordable players with small contracts....its a gamble but we can get 10 guys for what that 4 pick would cost .

I am wondering why we scouted Freeman ? Are they thinking he may fall to us in the second round or ?

OP
SeahawkWag
Reaction score
Idahawk said:
I am wondering why we scouted Freeman ? Are they thinking he may fall to us in the second round or ?

Maybe they are thinking of making a big trade?

Take a tackle and then trade our 2 and ? to move up and get him

Or trade down 12ish spots and get some more day one picks and take him?

Reaction score
All 32 teams were out watching Stafford on his pro day, it doesn't mean all 32 will be expecting them to be available when they pick, but it doesn't hurt to go see what he has.

It seems like all teams send out scouts to watch a lot of the bigger names even if they know they won't be able to draft them. It's just good to know just in case they want to trade or that guy drops down a lot further than anyone expected him to.

Top Bottom