• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kerney Retires?

Reaction score
According to Profootballtalk DE Patrick Kerney held a retirment party last weekend. Kerney is currently 33 and repordetly had a party last week which has also been confirmed by the Tacoma News Tribune. Kerney signed with Seattle before the 2007 season and made the Pro Bowl that year after piling up 14.5 sacks for the Seahawks. Since then the past two-years he had a combined 10 sacks and went the final five games of the 2009 season without a sack. A lot of speculation was being made if he would return to Seattle or be let go. It was expected if he returned he would have to take a pay cut.
Now it appears Kerney will join Kurt Warner in riding off into the sunset this year. Kerney also made All Pro in 2007 after joining the Seahawks in free agency after spending his first eight years with the Atlanta Falcons.

Reaction score
King 5 Sports says the story is not true. I believe Lisa Gangel, who works for King 5 and does their Sports segments, is getting married to Patrick Kerney or already has so she would know if it was true or not.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
I saw that too, but Seattle Times, TNT and Liz Mathews has also reported he held a party. I think it's going to be speculation until he either comes out and addresses it or the front office does. Until then all it is is speculation.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
And yes Lisa and Patrick are engaged so I would believe her over other sources, but then again she may not confirm it until he notifies the Seahawks.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Seattle PI is now saying Kerney has NO plans to retire. So it appears it was just a rumor and nothing more. Sorry for the report.

Reaction score
I agree with your point that she could be denying it until he officially comes out. A lot of sources were saying he held a retirement party so there was a good reason to report it on here.

Hopefully he returns to his Pro-Bowl form this season. We need his pass rushing skills that he had when he was signed.

Reaction score
phaZe;44396 said:
Hopefully he returns to his Pro-Bowl form this season. We need his pass rushing skills that he had when he was signed.

As much as I would love for that to happen, it is very unlikely.

We need help at the DE position... maybe draft somebody.

NEEDS (IMO):

OL
RB
DB
DE
WR (BIG and FAST)

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;44403 said:
thought Patrick gangel was married last year.
The only thing I could find was Wikipedia and I know they could be false, but according to them they're only engaged. I didn't see any other sites saying they are married yet.

thewiz

Huddler
Reaction score
Kerney had a retirement party because he knows he is going to get cut.. I mean why woudl he retire and give his salary and signing bonus back?? he knows he will get cut, and i hope he does. I dont remember what game but he had .5 tackles that is just crazy, he is dead weight.

Reaction score
thewiz;44419 said:
Kerney had a retirement party because he knows he is going to get cut.. I mean why woudl he retire and give his salary and signing bonus back?? he knows he will get cut, and i hope he does. I dont remember what game but he had .5 tackles that is just crazy, he is dead weight.
Yeah, but thanks to Ruskell we have nobody at DE better than Kerney. Maybe LoJack can finally turn into a good pass rusher.

thewiz

Huddler
Reaction score
This might be crazy.. but with Kerney decline and the money he is making i'd rather have nick reed rush.. atleast if he doesn't get to the QB atleast he will get more tackles then Kerney.

Reaction score
Should just go to a 3-4 defense. If you saw the Jets defense they had guys standing all around and the QB had to guess who was blitzing and who was dropping back in coverage. It will definitely allow the team to play to it's strength and that is Linebackers.

thewiz

Huddler
Reaction score
I think that might work if we draft a big bad fat tackle that would be awesome, because our Lbs are good and can make things happen on Defense. If not then we might as well trade hawthrone.. if we can get additional picks.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
The latest on Kerney is if he does retire he will have to pay the $5 million back to the team whereas if he's cut he won't owe any money. So if Seattle asks him to take a pay cut which is looking quite possible or he is cut it's possible he will retire. So the party he had the other weekend could have been a retirement party, but more of a quiet one.

HawksNation

Huddler
Reaction score
There are source from KJR am 950 that some people have attended is retirement party. He will not be on the team this year in my opinion. The last 2 years he has been banged up.

2007 50 Tackles 12 AST 14.5 Sack 1 int
2008 16 Tackles 6 AST 5 Sacks 0 int
2009 23 Tackles 11 AST 5 Sacks 0 int

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Tough to get tackles and sacks when the brilliant defensive scheme has him dropping into pass protection as often as he is rushing the QB... could be a sign that the team doesn't have any faith in him, or just part of the "we're going to make your WRs beat us".

S

Seattlehawk94

Are the angles of the Lisa's Gangels equal to the heat of the beat? Do they dangle?

(Beavis and Butthead reference for those who are too young to remember when MTV actually played music videos...)

Top Bottom