• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Holmgren as Seahawks GM?

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Redskins have a bunch of talent, expecially on the defense side of the ball.
But still have a horrible record.
Head coach getting striped of his play calling.

I say no to Zorn- great QB; horrible HC.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Steve Kelley is a d-bag.

Not even a full week later Kelley is saying Ruskell should be out and the 'Hawks should hire Holmgren (find Irish's earlier post in this thread where Kelley argues Ruskell should be given a contract extension). I don't think there is a person on this board that doesn't want Ruskell gone (and if there is, I'm sure they are verrrry quiet about it), but Steve Kelley is a moron.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
Striker said:
snip

Anyways, my main problem with Ruskell is when he didn't listen to Holmgren after Alexander broke out that season. Ruskell traded our first round pick for Branch, let Hutch hit the RFA market against Holmgren's wishes, and signed Alexander to a monster deal which shot ourselves in the foot now.
snip

Is that true? Crap, my memory ain't what it used to be. Ruskell was behind the Hutch and Alexandar debacles and Holmie was against both? Weren't those the two biggest f*** ups of the last five years?

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Bru-Hed said:
Is that true? Crap, my memory ain't what it used to be. Ruskell was behind the Hutch and Alexandar debacles and Holmie was against both? Weren't those the two biggest f*** ups of the last five years?

I have never seen anything that said Holmgren was against resigning Alexander. As for the Hutchinson debacle, it posted earlier a pretty objective and insightful piece on that: CLICK

As for Holmgren as GM, the more I read into it, the more I don't like it. Let me rephrase. The emotional side of me likes it, but the objective side of me does not. If you do not like Ruskell's personnel management, I have no idea how you think Holmgren's was better:

http://sea.scout.com/2/816748.html

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Honestly, I would love to have him back in any way shape or form. I don't care if he is the water boy he took us to more playoff games from 1999-2007 than all the coaches from 1976-1998 combined.

He also did what no coach ever did which was take us to a Super Bowl appearance. He stood up for us and our players when so many of us felt the Super Bowl was officiated unfairly (nicest way to put it) by saying “We knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn’t know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well.”

So personally, bring him back even if it means firing everyone to do so. We cannot get much worse than this, Holmgren would likely bring back Zorn and would surely wish to play some part in grooming/choosing the QB of the future.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
He took us to playoffs and a Super Bowl as a coach, not a GM.

Can you please quantify why you think he would make a good GM? Because so far no one has.

Reaction score
Number 18 said:
He took us to playoffs and a Super Bowl as a coach, not a GM.

Can you please quantify why you think he would make a good GM? Because so far no one has.
Who else is out there though?

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Is anyone an expert in up and coming people that could be GMs? What about Bill Polian's son that has been his right hand man in Indianapolis?

thetrooper

Huddler
Reaction score
I thought I read on nfl.com the other day where Holmgren said he was interested in the Browns.don't know what that means since i didn't read the post

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
The Browns were interested in him. I think he met with them, not sure though. But from what I've heard, no one expects him to take that job.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Number 18 said:
The Browns were interested in him. I think he met with them, not sure though. But from what I've heard, no one expects him to take that job.

It seems that talks have died off alittle. Wonder what he's chewing on...

Anyways, I STILL like what Mora and Co. are doing, it just hasent showed up in the W column yet.
Holmy in the organization, maybe personell, would be a positive but not as GM. If he truely likes Seattle football maybe he'll accept a lessor role to be apart of it. GOD KNOWS WE HAVE AS FANS ENDURED OVER THE YEARS.

Go Hawks!

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
You need to remember a key phrase Leweike said:

"Whoever it is, they will join us. We will not join them."

To me that says the organization will not give the next GM unlimited power to remake the team in his image. Would Holmgren accept that? No idea. I still am not convinced he is even the right man for the job. And I believe he should have to go through the hiring process just like anyone else.

Reaction score
Let's also remember we can't just give the job to Holmy. The Dan Rooney rule makes it so we have to interview at least one minority. If we make it known too much we want Holmgren not a lot of people will interview for the position. Lions faced same problem when they hired Matt Millen. time will tell...

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... impression

Looks more like he wants to be here bad, but he may not be willing to wait and risk not getting back in the NFL in 2010 should we not go with him. Browns seem to be pressing him hard in hopes that they get him to commit before the Seahawks change their minds and make a move. There is no doubt if the Seahawks offered him the job today he would take it hands down, which is why the Browns are pressing him.

The only bad thing about the article was him showing sympathy to Eric Mangini...that coach is a conservative bum. I still remember with the Jets last season his team drove down the field to the inch on the opening drive. He showed no confidence in his offense by kicking the field goal instead of risking it for the TD. When you team fights their way down the field and it is that early in the game you can afford to take the risk and go for it to show your offense you have faith that they can get an inch. Man I was pissed, they lost that game.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2009 ... gain-soon/

There was an initial report talking about Holmgren "could cost" as much as 8-10 million a year, but then those reports were proven false by a follow up report on nearly every site saying the Browns and Holmgren have yet to talk money.

I feel that it is on Seattle to make a move, Holmgren has done everything to put himself out there to us short of getting on his knees and begging for the job. He wants to be here, and if he ends up somewhere else then that is on us not him.

Reaction score
I read he was offered the job? Don't you discuss money BEFORE to take a job?

If it is true Seattle has yet to talk to him that is sad.....

Top Bottom