• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Coaching Changes

Reaction score
Jedd Fisch will join the Seahawks coaching staff now as QB coach.

Among the coaching changes so far:
LB coach Ken Norton Jr. taking over for Zerrick Rollins.
-Rollins had been with the Seahawks at his position since 2005 when Ray Rhodes suffered his stroke.
Offensive Coordinator Jeremy Bates will replace Greg Knapp.
-Knapp spent one-year with the Seahawks as offensive coordinator joining Mora's staff after working with him in Atlanta.
Fisch will replace Bill Lazor as QB coach.
-Lazor took over after Jim Zorn left for Washington two-years ago.
OL Coach Alex Gibbs will replace Mike Solari (so far no official announcement on this).
-Solari came over from Kansis City two-years ago, while Gibbs is the mastermind behind the zone-blocking scheme.
Special Teams coach will be Brian Schneider from USC he will replace Bruce DeHaven.
-DeHaven had been the Seahawks special teams coach the past two-years and improved Jon Ryan and Olindo Mare throughout that time. Ryan was signed to an extension last week, while Mare was the only Seahawk to recieve a vote for the NFLs All-Pro award. Both are alternatives for the Pro Bowl.
Wide Receivers will be coached by Kippy Brown as he replaces Robert Prince.
-Brown was named interm coach after Lane Kiffin left to replace Carroll at USC. He has 17-years of experience as a coach in the NFL and that is a major upgrade over Prince.
Ex-Redskin Jerry Gray will be the Seahawks DB taking over for Will Lewis.
-Gray was considerded for the head coaching position by the Redskins to comply with the Rooney Rules. Instead they hired Mike Shanahan and then named Jim Hastlett as Defensive coordinator. Instead of returning as DB coach he has decided to come to Seattle at the same position.
Ex-Bronco TE coach Pat McPherson will replace Mike DeBord.
-McPherson worked with Bates in Denver and helped in the development of Tony Scheffler. He had been with the Broncos since 1998.
Rams assistant OL coach and Running game coordinator Joe Valero has joined the staff.
-He's worked with both Bates and Gibbs before. Gibbs has always had an assistant OL coach with him so he's familiar with Valero. Valero was the running game coordinator for Cadillac Williams Rookie of the Year and during the Broncos successful running days.
Kris Richard will also be leaving USC to join Carroll's staff in Seattle as assistant defensive backs coach.
-He played for the Seahawks from 2002-04 and had spent the past two-years on Carroll's staff as a graduate assistant.
Strength-and-conditioning coaches will be Jamie Yancar.

Coaches Staying so far:
Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley will return for his second season in charge of the defense. He will most likely work with Pete Carroll in responsibilities. Former Buc LB Derrick Brooks who Bradley coached in Tampa Bay told NFL Sirius radio that today.
Defensive line coach Dan Quinn also will be retained according to Seattle Times.

Jobs still open (doesn't mean the current coordinators won't be retained just no announcement on that):
RB

I will keep this updated as more coaching changes are made or announced. Here's how we stand so far on Friday, Jan. 15, 2010.

Reaction score
Linebacker Coach: Ken Norton Jr.
Offensive Coordinator: Jeremy Bates
Quarterback Coach: Jedd Fisch
Offensive Line Coach: Alex Gibbs
Defensive Coordinator: Gus Bradley *Not Official Yet
Defensive Line Coach: Dan Quinn *Not Official Yet
Special Teams Coach: Brian Schneider
Secondary Coach:
Running Back Coach:
Wide Receiver Coach:
Tight End Coach:

^ That's for the lazy people on the Huddle. ;)

I heard something about a new special teams coach too.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
phaze you heard right Brian Scheider will take over I editted it so that people will know. He replaces Bruce DeHaven. As for the lazy yeah I could have done it that way, but I like the way I did it :). Hope you and everyone does too.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
I do want to say according to ESPN 710 Bradley will return, but might not be as defensive coordinator might be in another capacity.

Also Fisch most recently worked as Offensive coordinator at University of Minnesota. He has connections with Brandon Marshall whose been rumored to be a possible target by the Seahawks.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I do like bradley and quinn.
I sure hope they can find something to do with Solari, he is like a legendary line coach right?

Reaction score
Hawk096 said:
phaze you heard right Brian Scheider will take over I editted it so that people will know. He replaces Bruce DeHaven. As for the lazy yeah I could have done it that way, but I like the way I did it :). Hope you and everyone does too.
I like the way you did it. You give more information that is useful. I was saying the way I did it was for the lazy people.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
szat said:
I sure hope they can find something to do with Solari, he is like a legendary line coach right?

szat,
Yes Solari is, but the blocking scheme that Carroll wants the zone-blocking Gibbs is the legend of. They offered Solari the position at Tight Ends, but he turned it down.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
We might be able to add Jerry Gray to this list. Supposedly he has been offered today the Secondary position. It's possible if Bradley comes back Gray, Bradley and Carroll could all have roles in coordinating the defense.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Hawk096 said:
szat said:

szat,
Yes Solari is, but the blocking scheme that Carroll wants the zone-blocking Gibbs is the legend of. They offered Solari the position at Tight Ends, but he turned it down.

But Solari is the first to bring the zone blocking to seattle. I guess it would just be doubling up at the position.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Carroll confirmed today Quinn will stay on the staff for his second season with the Seahawks. It appears Bradley and him will be the only two to remain on the staff from the 2009 coaching staff.

Reaction score
? replacing a zone blocking coach with a zone blocking coach?

Hawk096 said:
szat said:

szat,

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Szat and Wag I agree, but that was the reason Carroll said. From what I dug up on Gibbs he was the founder of the scheme. So maybe going with the legend and founder over a student who prefected it is the thinking behind this. Hope that helps.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Robert Prince will not be back as WR coach. Today reports came out saying Kippy Brown will take his place on the Seahawks staff. Previously Brown had been named interm coach of the University of Tennessee after Lane Kiffin left to take the head coaching job at USC. Brown has quite the experience as a coach- 17-years as an NFL coach.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Jerry Gray has accepted the offer to coach the Seahawks DBs. He had been interviewed for head coaching position in Washington and was expected to return at same position, but instead has joined Carroll's staff in Seattle. Will Lewis had been the previous DB coach.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Hawk096 said:
Robert Prince will not be back as WR coach. Today reports came out saying Kippy Brown will take his place on the Seahawks staff. Previously Brown had been named interm coach of the University of Tennessee after Lane Kiffin left to take the head coaching job at USC. Brown has quite the experience as a coach- 17-years as an NFL coach.

Is this an upgrade at this position? Kippy has lots of experience in the NFL (17).
Prince seems to be connected with Mora from atlanta and has less experience.
Last season our WR didnt seem to be very crisp, I dont know if thats account of the coaching.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
Kippy has coached both RBs and WRs. Among the one's he coached in their young years:
-Warrick Dunn with the Bucs.
-Andre Johnson with the Texans.
-Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams with the Lions.
I think when you look at it you can say Justin Forsett is a lot like Dunn- small and quick. Could he improve Deon Butler into a Andre Johnson? I don't think so, but he could help him get better as a player. I think his experience over Prince is a major upgrade. He has also worked in the college world so he knows how to work with the young guys. I like the hiring a lot more than Prince last year. So I would consider this an upgrade in my books.

Reaction score
Linebacker Coach: Ken Norton Jr.
Offensive Coordinator: Jeremy Bates
Quarterback Coach: Jedd Fisch
Offensive Line Coach: Alex Gibbs
Defensive Coordinator: Gus Bradley
Defensive Line Coach: Dan Quinn
Special Teams Coach: Brian Schneider
Secondary Coach: Jerry Gray
Running Back Coach: Sherman Smith (Unofficial - Interview on Jan. 21st, 2010)
Wide Receiver Coach: Kippy Brown (Unofficial)
Tight End Coach: Pat McPherson

Reaction score
Ex-Seahawk Sherman Smith to interview with Carroll for Running Back Coaching job tomorrow (Thursday). Kippy Brown is suppose to be the Wide Receivers coach as well.

OP
Hawk096
Reaction score
I thought Sherman might come back, but hadn't looked into it too much. He will do well here again and I hope he returns.

Top Bottom