• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Burleson a Lion

Reaction score
According to ESPN's John Clayton, former Seahawks WR Nate Burleson has signed a 5-year deal with the Detroit Lions. It's a $25 million deal with $11 million guaranteed.

This really makes me think differently of Burleson. On Twitter he constantly kept saying how much he wanted to be a Seahawk and that he felt like they still wanted him. Then right after free agency opens up he signs a deal with the Lions? Just doesn't seem right.

Now the Seahawks only have Housh, Branch and Butler who can contribute in some way, but with Branch wanting out and likely will be released/traded, that leaves the Seahawks with Housh and Butler. Definitely sets them up to take a WR early in this year's draft.

Reaction score
Nope, but we don't know if he offered Seattle a chance to match or go higher and they choose not to. I think we need to know more of the details before we judge. For all we know they didn't want to match it and wasn't offering that much.

Remember 12th Man... NFL is a business. Players come and go but our colors stay the same!

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
M! FUCKER!
I cant believe out of everyone to check out early, son of bitch you little bitch burleson!
Yeah but he was always the "spokes person" on the team on the field, came off so genuine, and a local guy, and my favorite guy and everything.
Shit!

Guy in the pro shop told me when I was getting my 81 jersey something about burelson, how he's "always rolling round bellevue with his boys, clubing, hung with a bad crowd," I didnt believe him at the time but now it makes me what to believe it.

Looks like I have a jersey to burn season opener.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
I want to believe the Seahawks declined to sign him, but he signed with the Lions so quickly it doesn't seem like they were given a chance.

Hopefully someone can find out of the Seahawks offered him a contract or were even given time to beat the Lions offer.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
comes off as a money grab, but the devil is always in the details.
Im sure we will find out some of the circumstances, Im just really upset.
It sucks that now we have another priorty, hole, need to fill.

SUCK A FUCK!

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
szat;45593 said:
comes off as a money grab, but the devil is always in the details.
Im sure we will find out some of the circumstances, Im just really upset.
It sucks that now we have another priorty, hole, need to fill.

SUCK A FUCK!
Exactly. WR wasn't a priority at all and now it's pretty high up.

Reaction score
wow what the hell is going on.....

im pretty sure that the hawks didnt get a chance to match..... He was signed with in three hours of the free agency opening.

and Paul Allen is like the richest man alive and he doesnt have to worry about a salary cap.... why the hell wouldnt they match that deal.... i am pissed.

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
I'm not so upset about him leaving because I didn't think he was that great (2 of his 4 seasons here were worthless), but that decreases the likelihood of us getting rid of Branch.

Reaction score
SeahawkWag;45602 said:
just heard on KJR
Nate's agent said that the new regiem NEVER contacted them about a contract.

Yeah because it happened within three hours they probably had no idea until after it happened.

Reaction score
EricOV;45605 said:
Yeah because it happened within three hours they probably had no idea until after it happened.
no his agent was talking about the day then NEW GM came in the Hawks NEVER talked to them from that point on. They said Ruskell and then the interim guy both stated they wanted him back and stayed in contact with Nate's camp after the season ended.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
So why didn't his agent contact the GM? I'm sure the new Hawks GM felt like Burleson was going to come back no matter what so he didn't feel the need to get contract discussions going so quickly. The new GM has only signed a punter and two long snappers so it's not like he was going crazy signing and re-signing players. If he had been then I would understand why Burleson signed with another team because he would have felt left out.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
SeahawkWag;45613 said:
If that is what our new GM thought

Then we are in lots of trouble.....
Or maybe it's a hint that the Brandon Marshall deal is going to go down and they didn't want to keep Burleson around as a 3rd WR.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;45618 said:
Or maybe it's a hint that the Brandon Marshall deal is going to go down and they didn't want to keep Burleson around as a 3rd WR.

If what SOFT says is true, that the GM never communicated with Nate or his agent, then there is cause for concern. Even if they didnt want to extend him a contract, you have that discussion with the player.

I dont get it. I wonder if the new GM even cared to retain Nate, and yes Im curious whos on the radar (Marshall??)

So far this goes as a negative mark in my book for the new regime.

Top Bottom