• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ben Roethlisberger?

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
You are assuming Ben was instrumental in them winning the Super Bowl. He had the worst QB rating of any SB winning QB ever. Matt completely out played him in that game. And why is it that the team can't make the playoffs the following year? Lack of leadership, tied directly to the QB. Teammates don't respect him.

Reaction score
mlemour;47337 said:
Pete Carroll is a person who gives players chances. Example if Ben came to the Seahawks he gives us a chance at the end of games to win! I guess I say I am not going to judge Ben because I believe the only person to judge is God. I would write a personal conduct clause in his contract. If he is remorseful, might have a great player!

Football brings out the worst in people. Your job on defense is to smash the other team's players and put them out of the game aka Ronnie Lott, Kenny Easley, Ray Lewis!. Your job on OL is to pancake the Defense Tackle on each and every play and to put people out of games. After a while of getting pancaked so muich, people start wanting to get revenge! Then dirty plays start happening. Look at the blood on the uniforms! You have to have a mean streak in you to play the game! Some know how to handle it and obviously some don't.

Obviously, Hasslebeck might get cut! But Big Ben to Reggie Williams first down sounds good to me! I might consider bringing him in after having a long chat with him and getting the full story and see if we can get him on track to help us win the Super Bowl!

The question really is Are we here to win the super bowl or here to be a competitive team that make it to the playoffs and lose in the 2nd round and have people say "well that was fun, we went as far as we could ." Ask the Mariners about that when they won 120 games. They had a chance to get Roger Clemens at the trade deadline and Howard Lincoln said" we are only interested in being competitive, not winning the WS." that showed me that they really didnt want to win! Same thing Padres Owner John Moores said. So if there is a chance to get a Super bowl 2 time champ in, wouldnt you consider bringing him in (at age 26 too) to help us bring a parade downtown. I want to die happy by having my lawn chair on the side of the road the night before ready for the Seahawk parade
Ben Worthlessberger is 28, not 26 and the Mariners won 116 games in 2001, not 120.

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
Big Ben a Seahawk? What's your take?

Hey guys,
With all the Big Ben controversy and what not, apparently some "experts" think either us or the 49er's should trade for him as either team would instantly have the best QB in the NFC West.

For the suggested price, I don't like it...just was curious to your guys take, and here i've copy and pasted the ESPN Insider bit.

"The Seahawks (Nos. 6 and 14) and 49ers (Nos. 13 and 17) each have two first-round picks and could conceivably package their earlier first-rounder with their 2011 first-round pick to acquire Roethlisberger, who would be an upgrade over fragile Seahawks starter Matt Hasselbeck or inconsistent 49ers QB Alex Smith. Either team would instantly have the best quarterback in the NFC West and would maintain a first-round presence this year while Pittsburgh -- which currently picks at No. 18 overall -- would end up with two first-round selections this year and next. ... The Steelers could then find a stopgap quarterback solution such as Byron Leftwich or Marc Bulger in 2010 and be set up nicely to use one of its 2011 first-rounders to obtain a top prospect such as Jake Locker (Washington), Andrew Luck (Stanford) or Ryan Mallett (Arkansas), either straight up or in a trade-up scenario."

Again, not for a first round this year AND next year, i'd be alright with sending them Branch and a 14 or just some other player and this years 14, but not a first rounder in 2011 as well...

Discuss...

Reaction score
Walddo;47391 said:
Hey guys,
With all the Big Ben controversy and what not, apparently some "experts" think either us or the 49er's should trade for him as either team would instantly have the best QB in the NFC West.

For the suggested price, I don't like it...just was curious to your guys take, and here i've copy and pasted the ESPN Insider bit.

"The Seahawks (Nos. 6 and 14) and 49ers (Nos. 13 and 17) each have two first-round picks and could conceivably package their earlier first-rounder with their 2011 first-round pick to acquire Roethlisberger, who would be an upgrade over fragile Seahawks starter Matt Hasselbeck or inconsistent 49ers QB Alex Smith. Either team would instantly have the best quarterback in the NFC West and would maintain a first-round presence this year while Pittsburgh -- which currently picks at No. 18 overall -- would end up with two first-round selections this year and next. ... The Steelers could then find a stopgap quarterback solution such as Byron Leftwich or Marc Bulger in 2010 and be set up nicely to use one of its 2011 first-rounders to obtain a top prospect such as Jake Locker (Washington), Andrew Luck (Stanford) or Ryan Mallett (Arkansas), either straight up or in a trade-up scenario."

Again, not for a first round this year AND next year, i'd be alright with sending them Branch and a 14 or just some other player and this years 14, but not a first rounder in 2011 as well...

Discuss...
The Seahawks have too many needs to give up two 1st round picks for a 28 year old QB who's having a hard time realizing he's not in college anymore.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
KRS-ONE;47324 said:
Striker: I guess over 4300 yards, 26 touchdowns, and a QB rating of over 100 doesn't mean anything to you? Making the playoffs in the AFC is harder than you think.

It doesn't mean much at all if you put up those stats and don't even make the playoffs. Keep in mind last season he played CLE twice, DET, OAK, KC, DEN, CHI, and MIA. All of which fell under 8-8 last season. These teams added up to 17 of his TD's. Leaving 9 left to scatter over teams like BAL twice, SD, TEN, CIN twice, GB, and MIN.

This means he averaged just 1.125 TD's against teams that were 8-8 or better. Don't let his inflated stats fool you.

If your QB undoubtedly has the best season of his career and you cannot make the playoffs while when he plays at a sub-par level you win Super Bowls, you come to realize your team does not thrive of the reliance on your QB but instead on other factors. In the Steelers case that would be the D and running game. Ben compliments those factors not the other way around.

What were Bens stats when he got those rings?

2005 season: 2,385 yards 17 TD's 9 INT's 2 Fumbles 1 Lost *beat Seahawks*
2008 season: 3,301 yards 17 TD's 15 INT's 14 Fumbles 7 Lost *beat Cardinals*

He is not the reason they go to the big game simple as that. So once again no, his stats for this last year where he missed the playoffs don't mean a damn thing.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
I couldnt agree with you more striker. I will give him credit for having a strong arm and being able to avoid sacks, and thats about it. If he played for a team with a bad defense and a bad OL with no running game (the Seahawks) he would not even be a top 15 QB in the league. Considering what we would have to give up to get him is ridiculous, especially seeing how many holes we need to fill on both sides of the ball. I am excited for the draft because we are going to fill a lot of the holes we have, if we wasted draft picks on a clown like Big Ben who isnt even that good and has been acused of rape twice I would be pissed.

LaceyBALL3R360

Huddler
Reaction score
u guys r rediculous if u think rothlisberger isnt good...he is my most hated player in all of sports hands down but just cuz he a huge ddag doesnt mean hes not good

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;47392 said:
The Seahawks have too many needs to give up two 1st round picks for a 28 year old QB who's having a hard time realizing he's not in college anymore.

So YOUR the one that just moved my thread into this one huh? I thought I was going crazy till I saw my original thread in this one....

Reaction score
Walddo;47401 said:
So YOUR the one that just moved my thread into this one huh? I thought I was going crazy till I saw my original thread in this one....
Yeah, I actually posted in your thread and Striker posted a link to this thread so I figured it would be better to merge the two together.

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
phaZe;47402 said:
Yeah, I actually posted in your thread and Striker posted a link to this thread so I figured it would be better to merge the two together.

True.

And regarding him being too expensive...he is. For a 2011 First round pick. Now change that to a first round this year and a second next year...I'm game. For as many negative feelings that are associated with this guy, what with the superbowl loss and just everything related to the steelers, he can ball. End of story, case closed. This guy EXCELS behind disaster, and would do a lot for this team. You guys are absolutely stoned out of your minds if you think otherwise, hes just too expensive at two 1st round picks.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Walddo;47404 said:
True.

And regarding him being too expensive...he is. For a 2011 First round pick. Now change that to a first round this year and a second next year...I'm game. For as many negative feelings that are associated with this guy, what with the superbowl loss and just everything related to the steelers, he can ball. End of story, case closed. This guy EXCELS behind disaster, and would do a lot for this team. You guys are absolutely stoned out of your minds if you think otherwise, hes just too expensive at two 1st round picks.

Wow... smeone is stoned (besides Ben)... The Steelers win in spite of Ben as much as they do because of him. He is strong in the pocket and has a big arm. Aside from that, he makes bad decisions on and off the field. He struggles against good defenses, and he's not a leader. People hate the guy - fans andplayers alike.

If you are going to send off a 1st and 2nd round pick, take our #1 and #2 next year to draft a QB. We need both of our 1st round picks this year, and Matt will be our starting QB. He'll be behind a better line and have a real offense to run amd fans will be eating crow. Then he'll have a couple more years t groom JCW or a draft pick.

dmarkholt12

Huddler
Reaction score
LaceyBALL3R360;47399 said:
what r u talking about,... the steelers have a terrible o line

Did i say they had a great line? When they were successful (not last year) they were able to run the ball effectively and had a top 3 defense in the league if not the best. When they won their super bowls it was not because of Roethlisberger. There are more than two handfuls of QB's in the league that would have won 2 superbowls if they were put into the situation he was in with the Steelers.

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
D Hawk;47410 said:
Wow... smeone is stoned (besides Ben)... The Steelers win in spite of Ben as much as they do because of him. He is strong in the pocket and has a big arm. Aside from that, he makes bad decisions on and off the field. He struggles against good defenses, and he's not a leader. People hate the guy - fans andplayers alike.

If you are going to send off a 1st and 2nd round pick, take our #1 and #2 next year to draft a QB. We need both of our 1st round picks this year, and Matt will be our starting QB. He'll be behind a better line and have a real offense to run amd fans will be eating crow. Then he'll have a couple more years t groom JCW or a draft pick.

Yes...I'M the ONE who is stoned. He doesn't make plays out of nothing ALL the time. Yes he just simply holds back his team from greatness, time and time again, lets just forget about his last superbowl performance ,mmm'k? They DEFINITELY would've won that game if Byron Leftwich had been the one throwing that last pass to santonio....

Seriously dude, for just a SECOND drop your obvious fan subjectiveness and overall resentment of him and try and make a logical argument. You telling me the Steelers win despite him bringing them down, time after time, is absolutely stupid and wrong. And steeler fans hate him? I'm sorry, how many steeler fans have you actually interacted with? I live on the east coast, and they are plentiful here and not ONCE have I EVER heard a steeler fan complain about big ben, in regards to his leadership, on field decision making or ANYTHING. Believe me, they are all over the place in the east, and they are as obnoxious as ever.

And for the record I respect all of your posts and recognize your a very knowledgeable Seahawk fan, and I definitely appreciate that, this is in by no means a personal attack. Just what you are saying to me makes no sense. At least regarding what he does for that team. I would probably tend to agree with you on us needing all of our picks, 1st and 2nd round. This team needs a lot of help.

D Hawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I didn't say he holds them back all the time. I said they have to win in spite of him as often as they do because of him. As for fans hating him... lets start with the face of the Pittsburgh Dynasty... Terry Bradshaw. About the only thing I like about Terry is the fact that he openly despises Ben because he won't listen to anyone.

Simple fact... there are a lot of better QBs out there, and I don't believe Ben is the missing piece to get the Seahawks to greatness, so why gamble on picking up all the baggage? And why give up needed draft picks that have better use? I still have faith in Matt. And we all know who the better QB was in Super Bowl XL. I don't think it's changed... Matt just needs a real system again, and I think he'll have that with Carrol.

Walddo

Huddler
Reaction score
D Hawk;47420 said:
I didn't say he holds them back all the time. I said they have to win in spite of him as often as they do because of him. As for fans hating him... lets start with the face of the Pittsburgh Dynasty... Terry Bradshaw. About the only thing I like about Terry is the fact that he openly despises Ben because he won't listen to anyone.

Simple fact... there are a lot of better QBs out there, and I don't believe Ben is the missing piece to get the Seahawks to greatness, so why gamble on picking up all the baggage? And why give up needed draft picks that have better use? I still have faith in Matt. And we all know who the better QB was in Super Bowl XL. I don't think it's changed... Matt just needs a real system again, and I think he'll have that with Carrol.

I sure hope you're right.

knownone

Huddler
Reaction score
I don't agree with trading for Ben but he is easily a top 10 QB and I don't see to many other QBs doing what he's done under the same circumstance maybe in 05 but definitely not lately.

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Being a top 10 in the league is not saying much these days. There are not as many true Franchise QB's as some believe. Look around the league and you will see only a handful out of the 32 teams have a proven Franchise QB and some of those are aging fast and likely out the door in 3 years or so.

Name the top 10 best QB's that perform regularly. I'll give it a shot.

Tier 1 (The best of the best imo)

1. Peyton Manning (What can ya say hes going to Canton.)

2. Tom Brady (More bling than Big Ben and far better.)

3. Drew Brees (Always liked him class act and great player.)

4. Phillip Rivers (Weak division and insane talent on team helps bolster his stats, but their is no denying he has talent.)

5. Brett Favre (Hate him or love him he is the Iron Man of football and playing above all expectations even on a stacked team.)

Tier 2 (Quality QB but a bit of a drop off from the Tier 1)

1. Donovan McNabb (Never liked him but he is a solid QB.)

2. Matt Hasselbeck (Class act, great QB, but bad GM/Coaching/Injuries has brought his career to a screeching halt.)

3. Carson Palmer (Very talented QB always in a bad situation and overshadowed by strong personalities.)

4. Aaron Rodgers (Possibly the most talented young QB in ages. Injuries and lack of composure in clutch situations keeps him out of the top tier as well as his short time as starter so far.)

5. Tony Romo (If he was more focused on Football than being a Star he would have been a hell of a QB instead he is just worth mentioning.)

Tier 3 (Not good enough to be in top 10 but honorable mention. These guys are replaceable.)

1. Ben Roethlisberger (Only 2 good seasons in career, team carried him)

2. Matt Shuab (Improves every year but still a lot to prove.)

3. Eli Manning (Was one Super Bowl loss away from losing his job.)

Tier 4 (Far too early to know but shows potential.)

1. Joe Flacco (With the WR's he has been given this year should be exciting to watch.)

2. Matt Ryan (Showing improvement.)

3. Jay Cutler (Sad he fell this far on list and I like him.)

Ok, I think I pushed it about as far as it could go. How I see it is there are 32 teams in the NFL, and there is less than half of those teams have Franchise QB's. And in 3 years from now it is likely that Manning, Brady, Favre, McNabb, and Hasselbeck will all be retired.

This leaves us with Brees, Rivers, Palmer, Romo, Rodgers as the top QB's in the league. That is 5 players over 32 teams. The point of this is to show that Though Big Ben is possibly a top 10 QB in some peoples eyes, there really are not 10 QB's that are that great in the NFL. This also shows that either by bad coaching and poor drafting Franchise QB's are becoming nothing more than a desperate reach for a top pick than a legitimate contender to go to Canton.

Reaction score
He gets sacked again.
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5128828"]Pittsburgh zoo scrubs Ben Roethlisberger reference - ESPN[/ame]

Top Bottom