• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The National Football Audience May Not Be Ready For This Game

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
The media and the casual football fan may know Peyton and his skill at QB. They know Omaha and neck surgery and comebacks for QB's at 37. They know million yard seasons and records broken. They know Manning family lineage and him taking two teams to the Superbowl.

All of those are indeed fantastic storyline's. But that's not the real story.

We've had a team who's had the unfortunate luck of playing in a Defensively tough NFC West and a tougher NFC.

In comparison the Seahawks Defense has average an allowance of 14.4 points a game. Bronco's average 24.9

Defense allowed 231 points in the regular season. Bronco's allowed 399

Defensively the Bronco's were 12 out of the 16 AFC teams in total points allowed.

Seahawks Defense #1 in the AFC and NFC

This is all facing a much tougher NFC brand of football. It's not always the case, but the NFC is just built that way this year.

Talking about the Bronco's is like throwing gasoline on fire...the Seahawks LOVE IT!

I think Manning is a fine QB...but he and the national media hasn't seen this kind of defense on display EVER.

Let them discuss Sherman until kickoff, because I believe that we are poised to shock the world.

SF 16 8 80

Huddler
Reaction score
The media and the casual football fan may know Peyton and his skill at QB. They know Omaha and neck surgery and comebacks for QB's at 37. They know million yard seasons and records broken. They know Manning family lineage and him taking two teams to the Superbowl.

All of those are indeed fantastic storyline's. But that's not the real story.

We've had a team who's had the unfortunate luck of playing in a Defensively tough NFC West and a tougher NFC.

In comparison the Seahawks Defense has average an allowance of 14.4 points a game. Bronco's average 24.9

Defense allowed 231 points in the regular season. Bronco's allowed 399

Defensively the Bronco's were 12 out of the 16 AFC teams in total points allowed.

Seahawks Defense #1 in the AFC and NFC

This is all facing a much tougher NFC brand of football. It's not always the case, but the NFC is just built that way this year.

Talking about the Bronco's is like throwing gasoline on fire...the Seahawks LOVE IT!

I think Manning is a fine QB...but he and the national media hasn't seen this kind of defense on display EVER.

Let them discuss Sherman until kickoff, because I believe that we are poised to shock the world.

Not following you. Hasn't your D been on display all season and for two games in the playoffs?

Reaction score
Not following you. Hasn't your D been on display all season and for two games in the playoffs?
Zactly! Yet the Broncos and The "Second Coming" is all you're going to hear about. That and how much of an N word Sherman is. And that's ok. Bring that shit on. We like being the villain. Not sure if you heard, but the villain often times wins in real life.

seahawkblitz

Huddler
Reaction score
True to a certain extent. But I think most people feel that it's just cuz we haven't face Manning, and that it won't really matter to him. In many of his games, defense was optional for both teams. And come Super bowl Sunday it will become the focal point of the game. We will slow and at times stall their offense, while Marshawn grinds out a Super Bowl MVP giving them limited opportunities. Hawks win 33-20. You heard it here 1st!!

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score

I'm not shocked at all that you don't follow me. Just look at the bets you make.

The point is that most people only watch the playoffs and the Superbowl and they know what TV analyst tell them. Most football fans don't know crap about football.

All most fans hear about is Peyton "mother flipping touchdown" Manning and Richard "you ruined football for the United States of America with a 12 second interview" Sherman. (that's sarcasm about Richard because he's a stud.)

Even most analyst discount Wilson as an offensive weapon, because he hasn't lit up the scoreboard the last 5 games. All Wilson does is WIN...by any means necessary.

And he and the Seattle Seahawks will do just that on February 2nd 2014...and you can take that shit to the BANK!

Hawks for life...

SF 16 8 80

Huddler
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/seasontype/3

2013 Postseason NFL Leaders
RK PLAYER PASS EPA RUN EPA SACK EPA PEN EPA TOTAL EPA ACT PLAYS QB PAR QB PAA TOTAL QBR
1 Peyton Manning, DEN 13.0 0.0 0.0 1.1 14.1 92 22.4 14.7 89.9
2 Alex Smith, KC 6.2 2.4 -0.7 -0.3 7.6 58 11.2 6.4 81.9
3 Colin Kaepernick, SF 11.6 10.4 -5.4 1.5 18.1 119 20.7 10.8 77.4
4 Nick Foles, PHI 6.0 -0.1 -1.3 1.0 5.5 38 6.4 3.2 75.9
5 Andrew Luck, IND 8.5 1.8 -1.5 0.0 8.7 98 15.0 6.8 71.8
6 Tom Brady, NE 6.8 0.8 -2.4 0.8 6.0 72 10.5 4.6 70.0
7 Aaron Rodgers, GB 6.1 0.0 -2.9 -0.1 3.1 35 3.7 0.8 57.6
8 Cam Newton, CAR 3.5 0.8 -2.4 0.4 2.3 42 3.5 0.0 50.1
9 Philip Rivers, SD 7.2 -0.8 -3.4 -0.5 2.6 57 4.5 -0.2 47.8
10 Drew Brees, NO 7.0 -0.4 -1.6 -1.2 3.8 92 6.5 -1.1 45.5
RK PLAYER PASS EPA RUN EPA SACK EPA PEN EPA TOTAL EPA ACT PLAYS QB PAR QB PAA TOTAL QBR
11 Russell Wilson, SEA 6.6 -0.4 -4.0 -1.2 1.0 63 2.3 -2.9 34.3
12 Andy Dalton, CIN 0.5 -2.1 -1.5 0.1 -3.0 59 -2.7 -7.6 14.2

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/seasontype/3

2013 Postseason NFL Leaders
1 Peyton Manning, DEN 13.0 0.0 0.0 1.1 14.1 92 22.4 14.7 89.9
2 Alex Smith, KC 6.2 2.4 -0.7 -0.3 7.6 58 11.2 6.4 81.9
3 Colin Kaepernick, SF 11.6 10.4 -5.4 1.5 18.1 119 20.7 10.8 77.4
4 Nick Foles, PHI 6.0 -0.1 -1.3 1.0 5.5 38 6.4 3.2 75.9
5 Andrew Luck, IND 8.5 1.8 -1.5 0.0 8.7 98 15.0 6.8 71.8
6 Tom Brady, NE 6.8 0.8 -2.4 0.8 6.0 72 10.5 4.6 70.0
7 Aaron Rodgers, GB 6.1 0.0 -2.9 -0.1 3.1 35 3.7 0.8 57.6
8 Cam Newton, CAR 3.5 0.8 -2.4 0.4 2.3 42 3.5 0.0 50.1
9 Philip Rivers, SD 7.2 -0.8 -3.4 -0.5 2.6 57 4.5 -0.2 47.8
10 Drew Brees, NO 7.0 -0.4 -1.6 -1.2 3.8 92 6.5 -1.1 45.5
11 Russell Wilson, SEA 6.6 -0.4 -4.0 -1.2 1.0 63 2.3 -2.9 34.3
12 Andy Dalton, CIN 0.5 -2.1 -1.5 0.1 -3.0 59 -2.7 -7.6 14.2

One glaring stat missed...who's still playing?

BOOM goes the dynamite! lol :)

The QB with the worst QBR wins SB...who'd a thunk it?

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
I wonder if any of them have ever had more than 445 total yards in a playoff game (385 passing, 60 rushing) like Wilson has. Kaepernick got 444 in the GB game where he rushed for 181 but who else has?
Wilson's still got some mad skills throwing the ball. And he can and will throw on that 27th ranked pass defense if he needs to.

To me the question is, who's facing the tougher challenge, Manning throwing against the #1 pass defense in the league (and arguably one of the best pass defenses of the Super Bowl era) or Wilson throwing against the #27 pass defense?

But it's still all about Lynch. As good as Denver's run D is, they won't stop him. SD gave up 17 and 24 against them and NE gave up 26. It's easily conceivable the Seahawks could hold them to 20 or less, especially with the run game established.

The only team I was ever worried about was the Niners. I think Hawk fans know now, even the homers, that the Niners are clearly an elite team, an absolute beast. But the Hawks still managed to beat them. So there's no doubt in my mind that they got this thing.

Go Hawks!!

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
The only team I was ever worried about was the Niners. I think Hawk fans know now, even the homers, that the Niners are clearly an elite team, an absolute beast. But the Hawks still managed to beat them. So there's no doubt in my mind that they got this thing.

Go Hawks!!

I agree. I was more nervous going into the 49er game even if I believed we could win that game I knew they were a formidable adversary. Although I did think their biggest strength was their biggest weakness...Kaepernick.

For me its down to the fact "If you want to be really thought of as the best, you beat the absolute best." There is no doubt that the second best team in the NFL is the Bronco's.

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
There is no doubt that the second best team in the NFL is the Bronco's.

It's kinda funny because earlier in the year I wondered if it might be impossible to stop Denver. I was reminded of that topic I started back in September about them after it was bumped back up on here a couple days ago. But things have changed now. Back then I was basing things on not only their off the charts offense and passing game but the fact that their defense was one of the league's best in '12 and seemed to me to be vastly underachieving, as if they were just a good defense having a bad season. People seemed to be a bit skeptical about Denver back then. Now it's flip-flopped and things have changed. Denver's sustained key injuries on their O-line and they've lost 4 or 5 starters on their already subpar defense, including Vickerson and Von Miller.

It's likely that if the Niners had gotten past the Hawks and were facing Denver in the Super Bowl, they would be the favorites to win it. I would have gone with the Niners in that matchup. So I guess we have a little difference of opinion on who the second best team in the league is.

Some people question whether the style of football that the Hawks and Niners employ can still get it done in the modern NFL. People say it's too much of a pass-oriented league and the old school style of defense and running game is becoming obsolete. I think the league is cyclical and all that obsolete talk is BS but I guess we'll find out. Any way you cut it though at least some kind of passing game is needed and Wilson needs to be up to the task because Denver can definitely be thrown on.

SF 16 8 80

Huddler
Reaction score
One glaring stat missed...who's still playing?

BOOM goes the dynamite! lol :)

The QB with the worst QBR wins SB...who'd a thunk it?
If Trent Dilfer can do it, Russell Wilson can do it. Of course, you have to consider the opponent. Dilfer faced the Raiders (I don't really remember how strong of a team they were at the time.) Peyton Manning and the Broncos are on fire at the moment.

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
If Trent Dilfer can do it, Russell Wilson can do it. Of course, you have to consider the opponent. Dilfer faced the Raiders (I don't really remember how strong of a team they were at the time.) Peyton Manning and the Broncos are on fire at the moment.

Wait...I thought the 49ers were on fire?

Maybe they should call us Fire Engine 12 after this season..."The team, the team, the team is on fireeeee... we don't need no water let the Seahawks stomp them out, stomp them mother's Seahawks... stomp..!"

Sorry...too many hot teams besides us in the tourney.

SF 16 8 80

Huddler
Reaction score
Wait...I thought the 49ers were on fire?

Maybe they should call us Fire Engine 12 after this season..."The team, the team, the team is on fireeeee... we don't need no water let the Seahawks stomp them out, stomp them mother's Seahawks... stomp..!"

Sorry...too many hot teams besides us in the tourney.
You might get lucky and it will snow.

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
You might get lucky and it will snow.

Well it didn't snow last Sunday?

Always an excuse while we might win...give me a break. Rain, snow or shine the result will be the same.

SF 16 8 80

Huddler
Reaction score
Well it didn't snow last Sunday?

Always an excuse while we might win...give me a break. Rain, snow or shine the result will be the same.
Ah, I see. So a blizzard would have no effect on the passing game. Good to know.

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
Ah, I see. So a blizzard would have no effect on the passing game. Good to know.

Both teams have to pass and run...at the end of the game the best team wins. At least that's how the game is designed. You think running is easy in the snow? In a blizzard the team that wants it more wins.

SF 16 8 80

Huddler
Reaction score
Both teams have to pass and run...at the end of the game the best team wins. At least that's how the game is designed. You think running is easy in the snow? In a blizzard the team that wants it more wins.
No, a blizzard favors the team with the better defense and running game, which would be you. It disfavors a pass happy team like the Broncos with Peyton Manning at the helm.

OP
BleedsBlue12

BleedsBlue12

The original Fanatic12
Reaction score
No, a blizzard Wining the game favors the team with the better defense and running game, which would be you. It disfavors a pass happy team like the Broncos with Peyton Manning at the helm.

Fixed it...

TheBandwagon

Huddler
Reaction score
Trent Dilfer can do it, Russell Wilson can do it.
Wilson is a far better Qb than Dilfer ever was. Wilson's got a far more dynamic skillset for one thing. The numbers don't bear it out but Wilson's deficiencies are more of the external variety (lack of a great WR corps). But in order to expose that deficiency, you gotta have a good pass rush and be able to keep Wilson in the pocket and limit the extra time Wilson normally gives his receivers to get open. Denver doesn't have that so you might be seeing Wilson cutting loose quite a bit more in this game. Especially with Harvin coming back.

That's the one angle not many people are talking about. This isn't a dud QB and clunker offense against an HOF QB and all-time great offense. Wilson's a top QB too in his own way and through week 12 the Hawks were the 2nd highest scoring offense in the league behind Denver. They can get back there again.

Top Bottom