• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Keys to beating the 9ers (Unofficial Pre-Game Day Thread)

Reaction score
What do you think will be the keys to beating the 9ers?

I think it will take a really good game by Marshawn. He seemed almost non existant in the NE game. Offensive line didn't run block as well as they usually do. Lynch only ran it 15 times against NE. So I guess the positive in that is he should have a quicker recovery and be better suited to deal with the quick turn around.

Defense needs to shut down the run game (no problem) and force Smith to throw early and often. We all know what happens then.

If this was a full week of preparation, I would give the edge to the 9ers coming off an embarassing loss and trying to make a stand at home. However, due to the short turn around, I'm not so sure all the players/coaches will have put the game fully behind them. Reading some of their comments, they sound like the loss really effected them. Plus its given us a great blue print on how to beat them.

Reaction score
Limiting what Vernon Davis does is big. If you can get after Smith and force them to utilize max protection formations, that could help neutralize him. That's not easily done against that line though, especially on the road.... And Don't let Ted Ginn beat you on special teams...

Offensively, strength against strength. Run the ball against that really good run defense. Hammer the ball with Lynch and Turbin. I'd like to run out of some spread formations, go against our tendancies a little. We used a couple read-option runs yesterday, I wouldn't mind expanding on that a little, some counters and weak side runs could also be effective since we don't do a lot of that so they won't look for it, could add a wrinkle to the offense. Establishing the run is big, we're not going to beat the 9ers with a bunch of bombs like we did against the Patriots. So if we can get them to stack the box that might open up some deep passes for Wilson... Assuming we can protect him. Unger and Mcquistan are dealing with injuries and that probably won't change much by Thursday... The mini bye week we get after this game should help though.

Also, more slants and quick outs ;) lol. Seriously though, more quick passes. But that's just kind of a general gripe of mine, not specifically for this matchup.

OP
#ONE
Reaction score
Staley left with a concussion in the 3rd quarter. Their starting RG had to slide in and play at LT. So some journeyman 3rd stringer played at RG the rest of the game. Staley has to go see a Neuroligist. Idk if that is common practice with every concussion in the NFL, but sounded serious and sounds like he may not be back. That could be huge. A RG playing LT = Sacks for Clemons and Irvin.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
#ONE brings up a good point. It's easier for us to ride the high of our win than for them to get over the pain.lowered confidence of their loss. I hope! We haven't faired well on their crappy field so I hope the emotion gives us the needed edge.

What a close race in the division, though! Nice to hear us get some friggin' respect in the media for a change.

BTW, here's the new BUZZ strip: http://www.seahawkshuddle.com/threads/buzz-2012-week-7-san-francisco.9476/

Cmoney

Huddler
Reaction score
I agree with #one and you Bru, The emotional level we are at right now should be higher then there's after an embarrassing loss, however, we are very young, and hopefully Player's / coach's can control that emotion. In my opinion it will be a defensive game for sure, it will be Lynch against Gore, un-like the Pats game where it was Wilson against Brady... We still need to come out throwing so they aren't expecting Lynch every time.. But I have a feeling this game will come down to a field goal.. Hopefully in our favor... GO HAWKS.. we are 0-2 in our division.. This is a must win for us...

Reaction score
I don't buy into us having the advantage because we won and they lost a game a couple days ago. I believe in momentum within the context of a game, but I don't believe in momentum carrying over from game to game. Good teams rarely lose two games in a row, they come out fired up after a loss.. Especially after they get flatout embarrased like the 9ers did on Sunday.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
I agree Bob, the minors are going to be a challenge after that Giant whipping they got last week. Hopefully old Alex shows up.

The momentum from the Pats win won't last long without the 12th man. If we were playing at Clink I think we would roll.

sprhawk

Huddler
Reaction score
Also, more slants and quick outs ;) lol. Seriously though, more quick passes. But that's just kind of a general gripe of mine, not specifically for this matchup.

I hear that.

We are waisting the talents of our TE's. The TE's are catching 81% of thier passes. Miller has caught 9 of 11 passes this season for 139 yards (15 per catch) McCoy caught 8 of 10 passes for 71. Where is McCoy by the way, nothing in the last 2?

The WR's are 59 of 97 (61%) Obamanu has 1 catch out of 5 this year.

Washington hasn't returned one for a TD, he has had good returns but no TD's.

I think the key to beating SF is getting a couple score lead and they self destruct. Last week they gave up on the run pretty quick when they fell behind. I'm hoping Wilson will be more confident now that he had a break out game.

Top Bottom