• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Holmgren as Seahawks GM?

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Has he ever been JUST a GM before? No. So how do we know he'll be successful? What if he sucks? Will that have ruined his legacy in Seattle? Do we want him just because he is familiar and we long for the success we had while he was the head coach?

Just asking the questions.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
This is exactly the right question and one I wonder as well.
Ruskell to me has great "buisness sense" but has been ridiculed constantly by KJR, this forum, and some media outlets, for his football decisions.
Holgrem to me has great football knowledge and is good at recognizing talent, but that doesnt mean he can run the organization: Maybe a combination of both would be good....
but...

What does a GM; do can anyone tell me?

- Personell director
- Head of scouting and recruiting
- Ultimate decision maker
- Owner liason
- Media spokesman

Thats alot of hats, but Im sure there are more.

Seahawk Freak

Huddler
Reaction score
I still say that the relationship between Holmgren and Gruden would be exactly what we need.

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Seahawk Freak said:
I still say that the relationship between Holmgren and Gruden would be exactly what we need.

That's one of a lot of components. What about Holmgren's drafts when he was the GM? How good is he at talent evaluation?

Here are his drafts:
  • 1999[/*:m:1jamixpz]
  • 2000[/*:m:1jamixpz]
  • 2001[/*:m:1jamixpz]
  • 2002[/*:m:1jamixpz]

Let's be honest. None of those are really stellar drafts.

And if I remember correctly, after 2002, a lot of the fan base was calling for Holmgren to be canned. I don't care much for Ruskell and I love Holmgren, I just question whether he is the right person for the job.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Very cool to see these.

Do you think Holgrem was fully responsible for '99 draft? That was aweful.

2000 didnt show up.

2001 wasnt that bad, Koren was a bust, but we got Hutch and Im have been and still am a Ken Lucas fan.

2002 not so good.

Reaction score
Holmy said the major factor to his "failures" as GM was juggling two jobs. I think he will do a lot better if he has just one sole responsiblity whether it be Head Coach or GM. Look at Bill Parcells. I do see what you're saying 18 about his legacy in Seattle, but then again why not try it? I don't think true fans will ever forget Holmy for leading us to the Super Bowl and being the Winningst Coach in team history.

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
Holgrem/Ruskell/Allen will never be forgotten for the 2003-2007 Run.

But fyi- Bill Parcells is not the GM for the fins:

Chairman/Managing General Partner – Stephen Ross
CEO – Mike Dee
Vice Chairman – Don Shula
Executive Vice President of Football Operations – Bill Parcells
General Manager – Jeff Ireland
Assistant Director of Player Personnel – Brian Gaine
Director of College Scouting – Chris Grier

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Except Kelley (who is the most worthless columnist in history) claims Ruskell will get a 2 year extension. :harvey:

NOT GOOD! :pissed:

Reaction score
Two unsuccessful seasons and he gets an extension? The Bills are 3-6 too and they fired their head coach and switched the starting QB with more to come.

Reaction score
phaZe said:
Two unsuccessful seasons and he gets an extension? The Bills are 3-6 too and they fired their head coach and switched the starting QB with more to come.

recipe for disaster if you ask me...

szat

Huddler
Reaction score
I think the message is clear, Stop F!@#$#% up!
Allen may or may not have the patience to extend, and maybe only 1 year instead of 2?

OP
SeaHawksHuddle

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
The more serious the "Ruskell getting fired" talk becomes, the more the media is recalling the hatred for Holmgren so many fans had at the beginning of the decade.

I want to know from you Holmgren supporters why you think he would make such a great GM? I'm not anti-Holmgren, I just want to know your logic (although I imagine I will not get many responses).

Striker

Huddler
Reaction score
Yo all been while since posted been busy as hell. Before get started, man am I getting my ass stomped in Fantasy League damn thought I had a good team too.

Anyways, my main problem with Ruskell is when he didn't listen to Holmgren after Alexander broke out that season. Ruskell traded our first round pick for Branch, let Hutch hit the RFA market against Holmgren's wishes, and signed Alexander to a monster deal which shot ourselves in the foot now.

Personally, I would take Holmgren any day of the week, but some very strong arguments have been brought up for the other side of the fence. If Holmgren wanted to come back, Zorn would undoubtedly return (I have a feeling Zorn will go where Holmgren goes if he returns to NFL), and I would take those 2 over what we have any day of the week. I think Zorn is in a lose lose situation right now but is handling it like a real coach should. Hope he comes abck soon, he will always be a Seahawk.

Reaction score
If Ruskell resigns we won't be getting a new o-line anytime soon. Jones says he wants to come back, then you have Locklear and Willis. At guard you have Sims/Unger and at center you have Spencer.

We'll most likely see him drafting guys in the 2nd/4th-7th rounds.

Top Bottom