• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Foley’s folly

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Which Seahawks’ quarterback has the best winning percentage in franchise history?
Dave Krieg? No, but good guess. He’s at .588, with a 70-49 record – not to mention the most victories in club history. Matt Hasselbeck? Nope, not him, either. Hasselbeck is at .527 (69-62), but actually trails John Friesz (.545, 6-5) and Jon Kitna (.545, 18-15).
Trent Dilfer? Wrong again, but you’re getting warmer. Dilfer is at .667, with eight wins and four losses.
No, the all-time leader is Glenn Foley, who won his only start – 14-13 over the Bears in Chicago in a Week 2 game in 1999, when Kitna was sidelined with a toe injury.
One start, one victory. That’s a winning percentage of 1.000.
But that lone victory came with an assist from Kitna, who suggested the first-and-20 play that led to Foley’s 49-yard TD pass to Fabien Bownes midway through the fourth quarter for what proved to be the game-winner.
On Kitna’s recommendation, Bownes faked a slant route before taking off on a go route, because Kitna had noticed that Bears cornerback Walt Harris was jumping the slant. On the game-winner, Harris sunk his body and soul into Bownes’ fake, leaving the recently signed wide receiver to gather in Foley’s pass at the 20 and run it into the end zone. That game is included in our recap of the ’99 season.
“Jon wanted me to give him credit for that, so I’m giving him credit,” coach Mike Holmgren said after the game. “I had him watching and this is exactly what he was supposed to do. If he saw something … that he really thinks has a chance, come and tell me.
“He told me they were biting on the slants. Of course he ran up and said, ‘Who are you going to give credit to?’ ”
Offered Foley, “Jon’s claiming he called the play, so I’ve got to give him credit.”
And here’s Foley’s credit for having the best winning percentage of any starting QB in franchise history:
Quarterback (W-L): percentage
Glenn Foley (1-0): 1.000
Trent Dilfer (8-4): .667
Dave Krieg (70-49): .588
John Friesz (6-5): .545
Jon Kitna (18-15): .545
Matt Hasselbeck (69-62): .527
Charlie Whitehurst (1-1): .500
Bruce Mathison (1-1): .500
Warren Moon (11-13): .458
Jeff Kemp (3-4): .429
Dan McGwire (2-3): .400